J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.S., United States Military Academy at West Point
Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Rand joined Wiley Rein LLP as a lateral partner over 25 years ago to establish and build a government contracts practice. Since that time, the firm has grown from about 50 to more than 240 attorneys, and Rand has served as chair of what has become one of the biggest government contracts practices in Washington, DC, and a nationally recognized (Chambers USA “top tier”) government contracts practice globally. Since its founding, the firm’s Government Contracts Group has represented more than 400 top government contractors—including a third of the top 100 biggest government contractors, based on total contracting dollars in FY2013, as well as hundreds of small businesses and entities performing their first government contracts. Rand has been recognized as one of the top lawyers and strategic advisors in the government contracts business, having been named the “Leading Government Contracts Lawyer” by the Legal Times and consistently ranked for many years by Chambers USA as a top tier (“Band 1”) government contracts lawyer—and recognized by clients and peers as a “dean in the area of government contracts work.” In addition to his legal practice, Rand serves as a strategic senior advisor to many companies for high-stakes matters that often involve bet-the-company issues, compliance audits, bid protests, mergers and acquisitions, and situations requiring a form of “crisis management” which will usually call for a multiple disciplinary, legal/public relations/government relations team. He is also a globally recognized authority on the topic of government contracts law, working with his team to regularly publish thought leadership papers, articles, and op-eds nationwide, as well as speaking at numerous events.
- Represented The Boeing Company in its successful protest and ultimate award of the $35 billion Air Force tanker contract.
- Represented a leading aerospace contractor in successfully resolving termination and related claims valued in excess of $1 billion under a classified contract.
- Counseled a major IT contractor on contract interpretation and claims under a multi-billion dollar outsourcing contract with the government.
- Frequently serves as lead counsel on high profile suspension/debarment matters involving the Department of Defense (DOD), the General Services Administration (GSA) and other federal agencies.
- Regularly represents clients in their response to government audits and government/internal investigations and "mandatory disclosures" of alleged "procurement fraud" and related False Claims Act litigation.
- Served as lead Government Contracts counsel in Motorola's $825 million sale of its Integrated Systems Division to General Dynamics and BAE Systems $2 billion purchase of Lockheed Sanders and other Lockheed units.
- Represents clients in federal and state court civil actions involving prime contractor/subcontractor disputes.
- Outside General Counsel for the Professional Services Council (PSC), the national trade association of the government professional and technical services industry
- Member, Advisory Board, Federal Contracts Report
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Chair, Section of Public Contract Law (1999-2000)
- Board of Advisors (Government Contracts), The George Washington University Law School
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" and in the top tier nationally in Government Contracts (2004-2016)
- Named one of "Washington's Best Lawyers" (2011, 2013) and one of "Washington's Top Lawyers" (2009, 2015) by Washingtonian magazine
- Named a Legal Times "Visionary," one of a select group of lawyers whose work "represents the best of Washington law" (2009)
- Named to Ethisphere Institute's list of "Attorneys Who Matter" in the Compliance Specialty area of Government Contracting (2009)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Government Contracts by Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2016)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "leading lawyer" and "recommended lawyer" in Government Contracts (2015-2016)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Government Relations (2013-2017)
News & Insights
- September 20, 2016 | Wiley Rein LLP | Speaking EngagementProfessional Services Council
- June 28, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts Report
- February 17, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementGovernment Contracts Year in Review ConferenceRand L. Allen
- January 12, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Wins Law360’s Government Contracts ‘Practice Group of the Year’ Award for ‘High-Profile Wins’ in a ‘Variety of Forums’
- November 24, 2015 | Press Release
- January 16, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's "Top-Flight" Government Contracts Team Wins Law360's "Practice Group of the Year" Award
- July 29, 2014 | Media MentionLaw360
- March 11, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts Report
- May 29, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Government Contracts Practice and Rand L. Allen Receive Top Tier Honors from Chambers USA for the Fifth Consecutive Year
- January 3, 2013 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- October 2, 2012 | Arlington, VA | Speaking EngagementCost Effective Techniques for Resolution of Prime/Sub DisputesACI's Government Subcontracting: Management, Compliance & EnforcementRand L. Allen, Speaker
- June 12, 2012 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice and Rand L. Allen Receive Top Tier Honors from Chambers USA for the Fourth Consecutive Year
- February 22, 2012 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementStatutes and Regulations -- Session 1The Government Contracts Year in ReviewRand L. Allen, Speaker
- February 21, 2012 | Crystal City, VA | Speaking EngagementOutside Expert RoundtableAir Force General Counsel's Acquisition Law ConferenceRand L. Allen, Panelist
- February 1, 2012 | Press Release
- November 17, 2011 | Media MentionThe Blog of Legal Times
- July 14, 2011 | New York, NY | Speaking EngagementPrivate Equity Investing In Middle-Market Defense & Other Government Services Companies: Where Contrarians Are Finding Great Opportunities Now That It's a Buyer's MarketCapital Roundtable ConferenceRand L. Allen, Speaker
- June 13, 2011 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contract Practice and Rand L. Allen Receive Top Honors from Chambers USA; Group Boasts Five "Leading Lawyers"
- 2011 | ArticleAn Early Start of Specialized Due Diligence Is Key to Successful M&A Transactions Involving Government ContractorsThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
- April 8, 2011 | ArticleRand L. Allen
- February 23, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementWest Government Contracts Year in Review ConferenceRand L. Allen, Speaker
- February 15, 2011 | Press Release
- June 14, 2010 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice in Top Tier and Partners Rand L. Allen, Paul F. Khoury and Scott M. McCaleb among the Nation's Best; Daniel P. Graham Named "Up and Comer"
- June 12, 2009 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice in Its Top Tier and Partners Rand L. Allen, Paul F. Khoury and Scott M. McCaleb among the Nation's Best
- June 4, 2009 | Press Release
- June 23, 2008 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice and Partners Rand L. Allen, Paul F. Khoury and Scott M. McCaleb Rated Among the Nation's Best
- June 20, 2007 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Government Contracts Practice and Partners Rand Allen, Paul Khoury and Scott McCaleb Rank Among Nation's Best
- June 8, 2006 | Press Release
- June 2, 2006 | Press Release
- October 12, 2005 | Press ReleaseWRF Government Contracts Practice Recognized as One of the Nation’s Best; Rand Allen Honored as a “Leading Individual” in His Field
- May 25, 2005 | Press Release
- March 29, 2005 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding's Government Contracts Practice Broadens Depth with Addition of Distinguished Litigators
- December 6, 2004 | Press Release
- November 2, 2004 | Press Release
- December 22, 2000 | Press Release
- August 29, 2000 | Press Release