J.D., cum laude, American University Washington College of Law
B.A., The University of Georgia; Presidential Scholar
Associate Articles Editor, American University Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of International Trade
Robert’s practice involves all aspects of international trade and trade remedy proceedings. He has particular expertise in both U.S. antidumping and countervailing duty proceedings and export control matters before the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR), the U.S. Court of International Trade, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Robert has also actively assisted in World Trade Organization (WTO) matters, providing advice regarding WTO obligations and dispute settlement proceedings for various clients and governments. Clients represented in these proceedings come from industries such as aluminum extrusions, petrochemicals, steel, semiconductors, renewable energy, and consumer goods, involving products from diverse economies such as China, Brazil, Japan, Korea, Indonesia, and Turkey.
- Represented a coalition of U.S. aluminum extruders before the DOC and the USITC in a trade remedies investigation covering aluminum products in all segments of the U.S. economy from automobiles and appliances to windows and doors.
- Advised clients regarding the Bureau of Industry and Security’s regulations regarding the export of lease condensate and crude oil.
- Represented an internet security start-up before the Bureau of Industry and Security in obtaining an export classification for its exports of encrypted products.
- Represented a group of steel producers before both the Court of International Trade and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in one of the seminal appeals of a USITC determination in recent memory.
- Advised companies in diverse industries, including aluminum extrusions, steel, shrimp, outboard engines, and semiconductors in complex antidumping and countervailing duty investigations before the DOC and the USITC.
- Represented an outboard engine manufacturer in one of the largest consumer products antidumping investigations before the USITC.
Advises and represents complainants and respondents in dispute settlement proceedings before the WTO.
- Advised several clients and foreign governments before both the Panel and the Appellate Body WTO appeal.
- Participated in government contracts litigation involving an agreement to supply the U.S. forces in Kuwait and Iraq.
- Examined customs issues and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) regulations regarding importation and distribution of ethanol.
- Lobbied before the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee on various trade-related matters.
- Assisted clients in navigating the U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) new continuous bond requirements for agricultural products.
- Assistant Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulation, George Mason University School of Law (2007-Present)
- Law Clerk, U.S. International Trade Commission, Office of the General Counsel (Summer 2000)
- Law Clerk, Bureau of Export Administration, Office of the General Counsel (Fall 1999) (now Bureau of Industry and Security)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law
- Co-Chair, International Trade Committee
- 2014 Outstanding Committee Award
- Co-Chair, International Trade Committee
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for International by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2015)
- Recognized by Law360 as a "Rising Star" in International Trade Law (2013)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in International Trade (2013-2015)
News & Insights
- September 23, 2015 | Vancouver, Canada | SpeakerMetal Bulletin’s 30th International Aluminium Conference
- June 23, 2015 | ArticleLaw360
- June 3, 2015 | Press Release
- May 22, 2015 | Alert
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- March/April 2015 | ArticleAluminium International Today
- March 16, 2015 | Alert
- March 7, 2015 | Palm Desert, CA | SpeakerState Intervention in Aluminum TradeAluminum Extruders Council Annual Meeting & Leadership Conference
- January 29, 2015 | Press Release
- January 5, 2015 | Alert
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- June 9, 2014 | Media MentionArgus Media
- May 27, 2014 | Media MentionArgus Media
- May 16, 2014 | Philadelphia, PA | SpeakerAmerican Metal Market's 13th Aluminum Summit
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release
- March 21, 2014 | Media MentionAmerican Metal Market
- March 19, 2014 | Miami Coral Gables, FL | SpeakerThe Rise of State-Owned Entities and Their Effects on Metal Trade: a Case Study, the U.S. Countervailing Duty Case against Aluminum Extrusions from ChinaNorth American Aluminum Trends Conference 2014
- June 7, 2013 | Press Release
- June 4, 2013 | Press Release
- April 9, 2013 | Press Release
- March 11, 2013 | Press Release
- January 18, 2013 | Press Release
- January 2, 2013 | Press Release
- May 30, 2012 | Press Release
- December 28, 2011 | Press Release
- August 25, 2011 | Media MentionAgriTalk