J.D., Franklin Pierce Law Center
B.S., University of Colorado
Law Clerk for the Honorable Arthur J. Gajarsa, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (2002-2003)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Robert specializes in patent litigation and trying cases. For more than 10 years, he has focused on Hatch-Waxman Act litigation and has tried cases in Delaware, New Jersey, California, and West Virginia. He has also represented clients in a broad variety of venues and has broad experience in other intellectual property litigation, prosecution, and counseling.
- Extensive litigation and trial experience including Hatch-Waxman Act actions.
- Represented large corporation in patent infringement action relating to multifocal spectacle lenses.
- Appeared in various jurisdictions and represented clients in actions across the U.S., including Federal District courts in Virginia, California, Texas, Delaware, Wisconsin, New York, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and West Virginia.
- Represented large multinational corporation in patent infringement action relating to collapsible furniture; obtaining summary judgment of non-infringement in the Central District of California.
- Represented large multinational agricultural chemical company in counseling and patent litigation matters. Defended against patent infringement claims in the Eastern District of Virginia; case resulted in favorable settlement for client.
- Represents large medical device manufacturer in counseling, due diligence, and prosecution matters.
- Represented large biotechnology company in several patent infringement litigations in Massachusetts and New York and at the Federal Circuit.
- Handles the convergence of intellectual property issues and government contract issues in conjunction with the firm's government contracts practice.
- Secured a significant victory for clients Atico International USA, Inc. and Target Corporation, in defense of claims of patent infringement pertaining to digital picture frames filed by Digital Spectrum Solutions, Inc. (DSSI) in the Central District of California.
- Secured a victory for client Molson Coors Brewing Company (MCBC) in defense of claims of patent infringement pertaining to computer-implemented methods and systems for investors to obtain mutual funds in a foreign currency by swapping rights with a willing co-investor in another country.
- Adjunct Professor of Intellectual Property Law, University of New Hampshire School of Law, Franklin Pierce Law Center (2014)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Litigation
- Chair, Attorney-Client Privilege and Work Product Subcommittee (2008-Present)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Chair, Federal Circuit Bar Association
- Liaison for Other Bar Groups
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2017)
News & Insights
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- October 11, 2011 | Speaking EngagementBNA WebinarRobert J. Scheffel, Speaker, Brian H. Pandya, Speaker
- July 15, 2011 | ArticleLaw360Robert J. Scheffel, Brian H. Pandya
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- December 31, 2007 | Press Release
- September 7, 2006 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Client Mylan Wins Significant Patent Dispute as Appeals Court Upholds Ruling on Oxybutynin
- September 28, 2005 | Press Release