J.D., Northwestern University School of Law
B.A., with high honors, University of Notre Dame
Editor-in-Chief, Law and Policy in International Business
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. Court of International Trade
Steve assists clients on a variety of international trade law and policy matters, including bilateral and multilateral trade agreements, trade remedies and safeguards, foreign market access barriers, e-commerce and digital trade, agriculture trade, and customs enforcement. He has 25 years of experience advising members of Congress, senior White House and U.S. Department of Commerce officials, and clients on international trade law and policy, and supervising the enforcement of the U.S. trade remedies laws.
- Drafted and helped pass legislation on Trade Promotion Authority, amendments to the U.S. trade remedies law, reauthorization and restructuring of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the U.S.-Panama Free Trade Agreement, and permanent normal trade relations with Russia.
- Provided key support to members of Congress on the negotiation of international trade agreements.
- Addressed foreign barriers and restrictions on digital trade and e-commerce.
- As Deputy Assistant Secretary for Antidumping/Countervailing Duty Operations at the U.S. Department of Commerce, managed and provided policy leadership on over 300 trade remedies case proceedings, as well as lead Commerce Department negotiator for U.S.-Canada softwood lumber agreement.
- Represented and developed legal and policy strategies regarding U.S. unfair trade laws and other international trade issues for U.S. and foreign producers, distributors, retailers, and consumers in consumer goods, steel, energy, and basic manufacturing.
- Trade Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives, Committee on Ways & Means, Subcommittee on Trade (2011-2017)
- President, Cadence Global Strategies PLLC (2009-2010)
- Adjunct Professor, American University, School of International Service (2009-2010)
- U.S. Department of Commerce, Import Administration
- Deputy Assistant Secretary for Antidumping/Countervailing Duty Operations (2005-2009)
- Chief of Staff, Office of the Assistant Secretary (2001-2003)
- Attorney-Advisory, Office of the Chief Counsel (1991-1994)
- Special Advisor on National Security Affairs, White House, Office of the Vice President (2003-2005)
- District of Columbia Bar
- Co-Chair, Steering Committee, International Law Section
- U.S. Court of International Trade Advisory Committee
- Washington International Trade Association
News & Insights
- March 22, 2017 | Media MentionThe Washington Post
- March 6, 2017 | ArticleAmerican Trade & Manufacturing BlogStephen J. Claeys
- March 3, 2017 | Media MentionPOLITICO Pro
- March 2, 2017 | Media MentionPolitico
- February 21, 2017 | Press Release