J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
A.B., cum laude, Princeton University
Managing Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Karen LeCraft Henderson, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2006-2007)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and District of Columbia Circuits
Supreme Court of the United States
Stephen has a wide range of experience litigating complex disputes before federal and state courts and administrative agencies and in arbitration. He has represented clients in both individual and class action cases involving commercial and government contract disputes, the False Claims Act (FCA), procurement fraud, consumer fraud, business torts, and the Administrative Procedure Act (APA). Stephen has authored dozens of appellate and dispositive motions briefs in courts across the country and has successfully argued multiple motions to dismiss, summary judgment motions, and appeals in federal and state court. He also has experience conducting internal investigations for corporate clients in response to government allegations of misconduct, including investigations of pharmaceutical clients involving Medicare and Medicaid government price reporting for pharmaceutical products. Stephen previously served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the civil section in the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully defended multiple clients in FCA procurement fraud cases brought by relators and the U.S. Department of Justice seeking hundreds of millions of dollars in damages.
- Represented relator in an FCA case alleging that student lenders fraudulently obtained millions of dollars in subsidies from the Department of Education, which has resulted in settlements of more than $70 million.
- Successfully defended a government contractor in a multi-million dollar class action arbitration involving wage claims by fire and rescue employees used during the Iraq War.
- Successfully defended a government contractor in a multi-million dollar civil RICO case brought by a subcontractor.
- Conducted internal investigation for large international generic pharmaceutical company relating to its Medicaid and Medicare government price reporting for pharmaceutical products.
- Successfully defended a large international telecommunications company in a complex contract action involving internet peering agreements.
- Represented the owners of small government contractors in buyout disputes and mediation.
- Successfully defended a large non-profit organization in a class action consumer fraud case.
- Represented a large utility company in a complex, multi-million-dollar litigation involving a natural gas transportation agreement.
- Counseled a large non-profit organization regarding the recovery of funds from third party financial institutions following discovery of an employee fraud scheme.
- Counseled trade organization in a commercial dispute with a non-profit watchdog group.
- Litigated bid protests at the U.S. Government Accountability Office.
- Represented public interest groups seeking to vindicate important constitutional interests before federal appellate courts and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia (2010-2013)
- Represented the United States and federal agencies in a variety of civil matters, including FCA, APA, Federal Tort Claims Act, Title VII, and Bivens matters
- Successfully defended against class action certification in a Title VII suit against the U.S. Marshals Service
- Successfully defended the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in multiple APA suits
- Obtained a favorable settlement following an investigation of an FCA procurement fraud suit involving a federal intelligence agency
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Procurement Fraud Committee
News & Insights
- September 23, 2016 | Chicago, IL | Speaking EngagementLoyola University Chicago Journal of Regulatory Compliance SymposiumStephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- September 23, 2016 | Press Release
- July 21, 2016 | Raleigh, NC | Speaking EngagementGovernment Investigations and the False Claims Act in a Post-Escobar World – Where Are We Now and What's Next2016 Health Care Symposium: Governmental Investigations of Health Care EntitiesStephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- July 8, 2016 | ArticleLaw360Matthew J. Gardner, Stephen J. Obermeier
- July 6, 2016 | ArticleACLU Suit Attacks Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to Investigate Website Discrimination Using Controversial Online TacticsBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- June 28, 2016 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementUnited Health Services: Reshaping the False Claims Act Liability Landscape for Federal ContractorsWiley Rein
- June 3, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Electronic Commerce & Law Report
- May 16, 2016 | Press ReleaseU.S. District Court Grants Motion to Dismiss for Wiley Rein Client Deutsche Telekom in Contractual Dispute with Cogent Communications
- April 19, 2016 | Alert
- April 6, 2016 | ArticleLaw360
- January 28, 2016 | Speaking EngagementThe Federalist Society Litigation Practice Group PodcastShane B. Kelly, Speaker, Stephen J. Obermeier, Speaker
- January 5, 2016 | ArticleLaw360Stephen J. Obermeier, Megan L. Brown
- November 23, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief in U.S. Supreme Court on Behalf of Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark in Case of “Economic Protectionism”
- April 23, 2014 | AlertSupreme Court’s Recent Daimler AG v. Bauman Decision Could Have Important Effects on Personal Jurisdiction in Suits Against Multistate Corporations
- December 11, 2013 | AlertRichard W. Smith, Stephen J. Obermeier
- May 31, 2013 | Princeton, NJ | Speaking EngagementIs the Judicial Confirmation Process Broken?Princeton Reunions 2013: Alumni-Faculty ForumsStephen J. Obermeier, Panelist