J.D., with distinction, Emory University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.B.A., magna cum laude, Grand Valley State University
Executive Articles Editor, Emory Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Tom represents clients in mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures, joint ventures and private equity transactions, commercial contracts, equity compensation arrangements, corporate governance matters, and business and tax compliance for political and non-profit organizations.
- Handled multiple acquisitions and divestitures by public and private companies ranging from less than $1 million to more than $1.4 billion in communications, government contracts, and other regulated industries, including serving as lead counsel in negotiations, coordinating due diligence, and preparing financing, leasing, real property, and closing documentation.
- Represented a major telecommunications provider in connection with its negotiation of over 100 competitive cable television franchise agreements, including advocating and testifying before state and local government boards and agencies on related communications, public policy, and corporate matters.
- Represented clients in all aspects of commercial real property transactions, including negotiating office, warehouse, studio and tower leases and subleases, development agreements and purchase and sale assignment and transfer agreements, coordinating compliance with local zoning and other regulatory requirements, and assisting with the resolution of disputes.
- Negotiated commercial and financing agreements, including a joint venture between a communications provider and fiber network operator, as well as numerous partnerships, organizational, and other entity related agreements, employment and consulting agreements, investment, loan, and security agreements.
- Advised numerous tax-exempt, political, charitable, and educational organizations, trade associations and lobbying groups in the areas of corporate and tax compliance and in obtaining federal and state tax-exempt recognition.
- District of Columbia Bar
- Corporation Finance and Securities Law Section
- Taxation Section, Exempt Organizations Committee
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA), Business Law Section
News & Insights
- December 27, 2005 | Press Release