J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.S., Wake Forest University
Executive Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Tom has extensive experience in a wide range of regulatory, litigation, and transactional matters, including issues involving traditional telecommunications as well as the Internet. As Chief of the Federal Communication Commission’s (FCC) Wireline Competition Bureau, Tom was in charge of all Title II implementation issues and Internet Policy. He played a key role in developing national policies governing broadband networks, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services, local telephone competition, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), customer privacy, universal service, and intercarrier compensation arrangements.
- Responsible for all implementation of Title II regulation.
- Developed Internet Policy for regulation of broadband Internet access.
- Developed e-rate and Lifeline policies, and provided oversight to all program investigations.
- Oversaw three of the largest telecommunications mergers in U.S. history under section 214.
- Developed the legal and policy rationale for regulation of incumbent telephone providers' Internet access services.
- Developed the legal and policy framework under the Communications Act for broadband Internet networks, including telephony services provided over those networks.
- Oversaw wireless policy initiatives and rulemaking proceedings on issues including Advanced Wireless Services spectrum proceedings, Enhanced 911, the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), Truth-in-Billing, Commercial Mobile Radio Service (CMRS) numbering and local number portability, rate integration, and intercarrier compensation.
- Counseled Fortune 500 companies on regulatory, transactional, and business planning for telecommunications services with an emphasis on commercial and private wireless services.
- Negotiated and drafted software licensing, infrastructure access, and international telecommunications services agreements.
- Co-Chair, FCC's Advisory Committee for the 2012 World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-12). Appointed by the Chairman of the FCC, he is tasked with providing advice, technical analyses and specific recommendations on matters relating to the WRC-12
- Chair, Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA), Wireline Committee
- Federal Communications Commission:
- Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau (2005-2007)
- Chief and Deputy Chief, Wireline Competition Bureau, Competition Policy Division (2002-2004)
- Deputy Chief, Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, Policy Division (2001)
- Senior Attorney-Advisor, Common Carrier Bureau, Policy and Program Planning Division (2000-2001) and Competitive Pricing Division (1999-2000)
- Corporate and Litigation Associate, Private Practice (1994-1999)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division (Summer 1993)
- Judicial Intern for the Honorable Alan H. Nevas of the U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut (Summer 1992)
News & Insights
- December 16, 2016 | Press Release
- October 31, 2016 | Alert
- April 2016 | NewsletterFCC Issues NPRM on Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services
- April 5, 2016 | AlertSummary of the April 1, 2016 NPRM: Protecting the Privacy of Customers of Broadband and Other Telecommunications Services (WC Docket No. 16-106; FCC 16-39)
- October 28, 2015 | Alert
- March 16, 2015 | Article
- February 26, 2015 | Article
- February 4, 2015 | ArticleFCC Intends To Seek Treble Damages for Universal Service Fund and Other Federal Program Payment Violations
- June 3, 2014 | Alert
- May 19, 2014 | Alert
- January 15, 2014 | Alert
- December 19, 2013 | AlertFCC Announces January 16, 2014 Effective Date for Rural Call Completion Order, Which Applies to All Long Distance Providers Including One-Way VoIP Providers
- May 14, 2012 | Alert
- April 26, 2012 | Dallas, TX | Speaking EngagementGood-Bye, Universal Service Fund. Hello, Connect America Fund. What Will the New Regulations Mean for Rural Broadband?Broadband Communities SummitThomas J. Navin, Speaker, Hilda G. Legg, Moderator
- April 16, 2012 | Press Release
- February 8, 2012 | Alert
- November 21, 2011 | Alert
- August 2, 2011 | Alert
- July 1, 2011 | Alert
- February 11, 2011 | Alert
- November 3, 2008 | Press Release
- November 5, 2007 | Press Release