J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
B.A., cum laude, Yale University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Tom serves as consulting counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He has been named a "Super Lawyer" by Super Lawyers magazine (through a peer-selection process) and a "Top Intellectual Property Lawyer" by Washingtonian magazine, representing clients in a wide variety of counseling and litigation settings. His areas of principal focus include asset recovery on behalf of corporate victims, intellectual property disputes of all kinds, and the representation of franchisors in virtually all aspects of the franchise relationship, as well as other complex litigation.
- Asset Recovery:
- Represents major corporations as plaintiffs in actions seeking to recover assets, especially when those corporations have been victimized by fraud.
- Lead trial counsel for a consortium of eight health care insurers in the recovery of over $99 million from a major health care provider for fraudulent billing.
- Lead trial counsel for a consortium of thirteen health care insurers in the recovery of more than $90 million from a major hospital chain for insurance fraud.
- Lead trial counsel for a consortium of five health care insurers in the recovery of approximately $38 million from a second major hospital chain for fraudulent billing.
- Lead counsel for a consortium of more than twenty consumer packaged goods and consumer products companies in recovering assets forfeited by a criminal defendant and held by the Department of Justice (DOJ), based on a scheme involving the fraudulent redemption of manufacturers' "cents off" coupons (over $1 million recovered).
- Co-author of Federal Victim Compensation Reference Guide-Recovery of the Proceeds of Coupon Fraud, a manual on victim restitution distributed to U.S. Attorney's Offices and other law enforcement officials to encourage restitution to corporate victims in criminal proceedings, especially involving fraudulent misredemption of manufacturers' "cents off" coupons.
- General counsel for a non-profit association of consumer packaged goods and other consumer products companies that acts as a liaison with law enforcement officials in encouraging and supporting prosecutions for the fraudulent misredemption of manufacturers' "cents off" coupons.
- Counsel in case pursuant to the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act to recover over $600 million in assets wrongfully misappropriated by a foreign government.
- Franchise Law:
- Represents franchisors in counseling and litigation concerning virtually all aspects of the franchise relationship, including termination disputes, claims of fraud in the inducement, enforcement of system standards, market withdrawals, territorial and encroachment disputes, covenants not to compete, disputes involving marketing co-ops, and other marketing obligations, etc.
- Lead counsel in more than ten trials and arbitrations on various issues and more than 25 preliminary injunction proceedings on behalf of franchisors to vindicate franchisors' rights.
- Created and served as general counsel for a system-wide purchasing co-op for a top ten restaurant franchisor.
- Intellectual Property:
- Represents clients on a wide variety of intellectual property litigation and counseling issues.
- Actions and preliminary injunction proceedings to enjoin trademark and copyright infringement and to recover appropriate damages.
- Actions to enjoin theft of trade secrets, customer lists, and proprietary formulas and processes, and to recover appropriate damages.
- Preparation of license agreements for intellectual property of all kinds.
- Other Complex Commercial Litigation (including Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO)):
- Represents clients in various major commercial disputes, including those described above, most of which were complex, multi-party proceedings.
- Most of the asset recovery cases involved the use of the RICO statute on behalf of major corporate victims/plaintiffs. Other representations have involved the defense of RICO claims.
- Lead trial counsel in multi-party insurance coverage dispute where the claims in the underlying litigation exceeded $400 million.
- Lead trial counsel in action successfully challenging FDA's rules restricting the dissemination of information on "off-label" uses of prescription drugs as a violation of pharmaceutical manufacturers' First Amendment/free speech rights.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Sections of Antitrust and Litigation and Forum on Franchising
- Chair, Section of Antitrust, Legislation Committee (1983-1986)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Franchise Law (2008-2016)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property (2007, Corporate Counsel Edition, August 2008) and Business Litigation (2013-2015) by Super Lawyers magazine
- Named a "Top Intellectual Property Lawyer" by Washingtonian magazine (2004, 2007)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- August 17, 2015 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- August 18, 2014 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Nine Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 22 Practice Areas in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- August 15, 2013 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Six Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- August 22, 2012 | Press ReleaseTwenty-One Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- August 22, 2011 | ArticleThe D.C. Circuit Finds the SEC's Proxy Access Rule to Be Arbitrary and CapriciousBNA's Securities Regulation & Law ReportBert W. Rein, Thomas W. Queen
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- July 30, 2009 | Press Release
- March 26, 2007 | Press Release
- December 1, 2004 | Press Release
- September 16, 2000 | Press ReleaseWRF Client Washington Legal Foundation Wins Decision in First Amendment Challenge to FDA Regulations