J.D., magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center; Order of the Coif
B.S., Georgetown University
Current Developments Editor, Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics
Law Clerk for the Honorable Lawrence S. Margolis, U.S. Court of Federal Claims (2006-2007)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Tracye counsels and represents government contractors and subcontractors on a broad range of government contracting issues, including bid protests, contract claims and disputes, subcontract formation and performance issues, compliance with ethics and procurement integrity laws, and government investigations and audits.
- Represents government contractors in disputes with the federal government, including monetary claims under the Contract Disputes Act (CDA) and appeals of terminations for default, including defective pricing claims under the Truth in Negotiations Act (TINA), to the Boards of Contract Appeals and the Court of Federal Claims (COFC).
- Prosecutes and defends bid protests before the Government Accountability Office (GAO), COFC, and state courts and procurement agencies, including GAO protests involving the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' (HHS) award of Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) contracts.
- Conducts internal investigations and assists government contractors with responding to Inspector General (IG) and Department of Justice (DOJ) subpoenas and investigations, including allegations of False Claims Act (FCA) violations.
- Assists government contractors in responding to government suspension and debarment officials.
- Represents government contractors in negotiation of teaming and subcontracting agreements and prime-subcontractor disputes.
- Counsels clients in the development and implementation of government contracts ethics and compliance and training programs.
- Advises government contractors on recent statutory and regulatory developments, including questions related to the Buy American Act and Trade Agreements Act (TAA).
- Conducts due diligence on behalf of buyers, sellers, and underwriters on issues unique to government contractors.
- Professional Staff Member, Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (1999-2005)
- Legislative Assistant, Senator Richard C. Shelby (1997-1999)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Co-Chair, Federal Procurement Institute (2014)
- Co-Chair, Legislative Coordinating Committee (2013-Present)
- Vice-Chair, Strategic Alliances, Teaming, and Subcontracting Committee (2009-Present)
- District of Columbia Bar, Government Contracts and Litigation Section, Steering Committee
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims Bar Association
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Government Contracts (2015-2016)
News & Insights
- January 31, 2017 | Alert
- January 30, 2017 | Alert
- December 27, 2016 | AlertNational Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2017 Implements Numerous Acquisition Reform MeasuresTracye Winfrey Howard, Kendra P. Norwood
- December 16, 2016 | AlertTracye Winfrey Howard, Kendra P. Norwood
- December 13, 2016 | McLean, VA | Speaking EngagementACC National Capital Region, Government Contractors ForumTracye Winfrey Howard, Speaker
- October 3, 2016 | Alert
- September 2016 | ArticlePratt’s Government Contracting Law Report
- July 13, 2016 | Alert
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- June 14, 2016 | Press Release
- May 9, 2016 | Webcast | Speaking EngagementFederal Circuit Bar Association Bench and Bar Webcast
- December 14, 2015 | AlertDepartment of Defense Withdraws Controversial Proposed Rule on Commercial Items, But Expect Close Scrutiny to Continue
- Fall 2015 | ArticleTwo Systems, Two Types of Risk: How the World Bank Sanctions Regime Differs from US Suspension and DebarmentABA Public Contact Law Section's The Procurement Lawyer
- October 19, 2015 | Media MentionCompliance Week
- September 15, 2015 | ArticleView from Wiley Rein: The World Bank’s Sanctions Regime Is a World Apart from the Suspension and Debarment System Federal Contractors KnowBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- June 3, 2015 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 32 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Seven Practices Nationally; Four Partners Are ‘Leading Lawyers’
- April 2, 2015 | AlertFEC Solicits Comments on Expanding Prohibition Against Political Contributions and Expenditures by Federal ContractorsCaleb P. Burns, Tracye Winfrey Howard
- December 23, 2014 | AlertTracye Winfrey Howard
- October 29, 2014 | Alert
- June 2, 2014 | AlertFinal Rule on Compensation for Defense Contractors Continues the March Toward Lower Allowable Compensation for All Contractors
- January 8, 2014 | AlertTracye Winfrey Howard
- December 19, 2013 | Speaking EngagementWiley Rein Government Contracts Boot Camp Series: "Effective Internal Investigations: Best Practices and Recent Developments" Webinar
- December 16, 2013 | Alert
- Summer 2013 | ArticleFederal Circuit Year-In-Review 2012: Guarding the Gates of Government Contracts LitigationPublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 42, No. 4
- Summer 2012 | ArticleFederal Circuit Year-In-Review 2011: Certainty and Uncertainty in Federal Government ContractsPublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 41
- Winter 2012 | NewsletterThe National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 Includes Numerous Government Contracts Provisions
- February 21, 2012 | Vienna, VA | Speaking EngagementContract Changes and Termination -- A Consequence of the TimesGovernment Contracts SeminarTracye Winfrey Howard, Speaker
- January 5, 2012 | AlertTracye Winfrey Howard
- December 21, 2011 | AlertReintroduced Bill Would Automatically Propose for Debarment Any Person That Violates the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- June 15, 2011 | AlertTracye Winfrey Howard
- May 26, 2011 | AlertProposed Amendment Would Automatically Propose for Debarment Any Contractor That Violates the Foreign Corrupt Practices ActJohn R. Shane, Tracye Winfrey Howard
- May 18, 2011 | Press Release
- January 18, 2011 | ArticleFinal Regulation Implementing Franken Amendment Forbids Contractors From Mandating Arbitration of Sexual Assault and Harassment ClaimsBNA Federal Contracts Report Volume 95, No. 2Tracye Winfrey Howard
- June 8, 2010 | Press Release