J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.S., University of Virginia
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Umair provides legal counsel and strategic advice to a broad cross-section of clients on domestic and international telecommunications, privacy, and Internet-related issues.
- Secured a favorable decision from the FCC’s Enforcement Bureau, which terminated a forfeiture order against a wireless carrier.
- Comprehensive transactional experience, including counseling on structuring and documenting transactions, securing regulatory approvals for complex mergers and acquisitions, drafting private placement memoranda, and assisting with compliance issues related to designated entities.
- Particular expertise in wireless issues, including licensing, compliance, and regulatory policy matters.
- Emphasis on new and emerging markets, including regulatory and privacy issues related to unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), the Internet of Things, and mobile health applications and platforms.
- Advises a coalition of leading information and communications technology companies on Internet policy issues in the U.S. and abroad.
- Provides legal counsel and strategic advice to multinational corporations concerning global data protection laws and cross-border data flows.
- Represents communications and technology companies in enforcement matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), including handling administrative proceedings and investigations, consumer protection matters, and unfair business practices and advertising proceedings.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice, including representing victims of human trafficking and asylum seekers, and assisting U.S. nonprofit organizations with entity formation issues.
- Served as a private sector member of the U.S. delegations to the 2013 World Telecommunication/ICT Policy Forum and the 2014 International Telecommunication Union Plenipotentiary Conference
- Director, Red Truck Foundation (2012-2015)
- Research Assistant, University of Virginia School of Law (2008)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Telehealth Committee (2015-Present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Named to Lawyers of Color's Hot List (2013)
News & Insights
- January 12, 2017 | Alert
- December 19, 2016 | Alert
- November 1, 2016 | Press Release
- September 26, 2016 | Press Release
- August 10, 2016 | ArticleCircleID
- July 20, 2016 | Speaking EngagementWiley Rein WebinarAmy E. Worlton, Presenter, Umair Javed, Presenter
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- July 13, 2016 | Alert
- June 14, 2016 | San Jose, CA | Speaking EngagementSpectrum & “Wheels & Things”: The Latest On How Political & Regulatory Activities Concerning The Management & Allocation Of The Airwaves Will Impact The Auto SectorITS America 2016Shawn H. Chang, Moderator, Umair Javed, Moderator
- June 6, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Supports U.S. Chamber of Commerce Center for Advanced Technology & Innovation, in Comments on NTIA ‘Internet of Things’ Inquiry
- May 19, 2016 | AlertNTIA Seeks Comment on ITU’s Role in Setting Technical Standards for IoT and Other Internet-Related Issues
- May 19, 2016 | AlertNTIA Concludes UAS Multistakeholder Process; Releases Consensus Document on Voluntary Best Practices
- May 2016 | Newsletter
- May 11, 2016 | Press Release
- May 4, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementHealth Payments Policy and ReformFCBA Telehealth CommitteeUmair Javed, Speaker
- May 3, 2016 | ArticleCircleID
- April 29, 2016 | ArticleCircleID
- April 2016 | Newsletter
- April 2016 | ArticleALI CLE’s The Practical Lawyer
- April 6, 2016 | Alert
- March 3, 2016 | Alert
- February 2016 | Newsletter
- January 2016 | Newsletter
- January 2016 | Newsletter
- January 8, 2016 | Alert
- December 9, 2015 | Press Release
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- October 22, 2015 | Alert
- October 2015 | Newsletter
- October 7, 2015 | Alert
- August 2015 | NewsletterNTIA Held its First Multistakeholder Meeting to Craft Unmanned Aircraft Systems Privacy, Transparency, and Accountability Best Practices
- August 5, 2015 | AlertNTIA Held its First Multistakeholder Meeting to Craft Unmanned Aircraft Systems Privacy, Transparency, and Accountability Best PracticesAnna M. Gomez, Umair Javed
- March 5, 2015 | Article
- January 16, 2015 | Article
- November 2014 | Newsletter
- September 2014 | Newsletter
- June 2014 | Newsletter
- June 4, 2014 | AlertNTIA Seeks Comment on Big Data Impacts on the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights in Support of Proposed New Privacy Legislation
- March 2014 | Newsletter
- February 2014 | Newsletter
- December 2013 | Newsletter
- November 2013 | Newsletter
- November 14, 2013 | Press Release
- June 17, 2013 | Press Release