J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
B.A., University of Virginia
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Umair provides legal counsel and strategic advice to a broad cross-section of clients on domestic and international telecommunications and Internet regulation, spectrum policy, and privacy and data protection. He works with telecommunications service providers, Internet and cloud service providers, over-the-top content and application providers, satellite companies, equipment manufacturers, and trade associations. Umair advises clients regarding the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the Executive Branch, and foreign regulatory entities.
- Advises a group of leading multinational Internet companies on issues of international significance determining the Internet’s future.
- Comprehensive transactional experience, including counseling on structuring and documenting transactions, securing regulatory approvals for complex mergers and acquisitions, and assisting with compliance issues related to designated entities.
- Particular expertise in wireless and satellite issues, including licensing, compliance, and regulatory policy matters.
- Provides legal counsel and strategic advice to multinational corporations concerning global data protection laws and cross-border data flows.
- Emphasis on new and emerging markets, including regulatory and policy issues related to the Internet of Things, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and mobile health applications and platforms.
- Represents communications and technology companies in enforcement matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), including handling administrative proceedings and investigations, consumer protection matters, and unfair business practices and advertising proceedings.
- Secured a favorable decision from the FCC's Enforcement Bureau, which terminated a forfeiture order against a wireless carrier.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice, including representing victims of human trafficking and asylum seekers, and assisting U.S. nonprofit organizations with entity formation issues.
- Serves on U.S. delegations to treaty-writing conferences and meetings of the United Nations' International Telecommunication Union
- Commissioner, Consumer Protection Commission of Fairfax County
- Director, Red Truck Foundation (2012-2015)
- Research Assistant, University of Virginia School of Law (2008)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, Telehealth Committee (2015-Present)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Named to Lawyers of Color's Hot List (2013)
News & Insights
- May 2017 | Newsletter
- April 2017 | Newsletter
- February 16, 2017 | Tysons, VA | Speaking EngagementThe HUBUmair Javed, Speaker
- January 12, 2017 | Alert
- December 19, 2016 | Alert
- November 1, 2016 | Press Release
- September 26, 2016 | Press Release
- August 10, 2016 | ArticleCircleID
- July 20, 2016 | Speaking EngagementWiley Rein WebinarUmair Javed, Presenter
- July 2016 | Newsletter
- July 13, 2016 | AlertUmair Javed
- June 14, 2016 | San Jose, CA | Speaking EngagementSpectrum & “Wheels & Things”: The Latest On How Political & Regulatory Activities Concerning The Management & Allocation Of The Airwaves Will Impact The Auto SectorITS America 2016Shawn H. Chang, Moderator, Umair Javed, Moderator
- June 6, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Supports U.S. Chamber of Commerce Center for Advanced Technology & Innovation, in Comments on NTIA ‘Internet of Things’ Inquiry
- May 19, 2016 | AlertNTIA Seeks Comment on ITU’s Role in Setting Technical Standards for IoT and Other Internet-Related Issues
- May 19, 2016 | AlertNTIA Concludes UAS Multistakeholder Process; Releases Consensus Document on Voluntary Best Practices
- May 2016 | Newsletter
- May 11, 2016 | Press Release
- May 4, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementHealth Payments Policy and ReformFCBA Telehealth CommitteeUmair Javed, Speaker
- May 3, 2016 | ArticleCircleID
- April 29, 2016 | ArticleCircleID
- April 2016 | Newsletter
- April 2016 | ArticleALI CLE’s The Practical Lawyer
- April 6, 2016 | Alert
- March 3, 2016 | AlertUmair Javed, Daniel P. Brooks
- February 2016 | Newsletter
- January 2016 | Newsletter
- January 2016 | Newsletter
- January 8, 2016 | Alert
- December 9, 2015 | Press Release
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- October 22, 2015 | AlertUmair Javed
- October 2015 | Newsletter
- October 7, 2015 | AlertUmair Javed
- August 2015 | NewsletterNTIA Held its First Multistakeholder Meeting to Craft Unmanned Aircraft Systems Privacy, Transparency, and Accountability Best Practices
- August 5, 2015 | AlertNTIA Held its First Multistakeholder Meeting to Craft Unmanned Aircraft Systems Privacy, Transparency, and Accountability Best PracticesAnna M. Gomez, Umair Javed
- March 5, 2015 | Article
- January 16, 2015 | Article
- November 2014 | Newsletter
- September 2014 | Newsletter
- June 2014 | Newsletter
- June 4, 2014 | AlertNTIA Seeks Comment on Big Data Impacts on the Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights in Support of Proposed New Privacy Legislation
- March 2014 | Newsletter
- February 2014 | Newsletter
- December 2013 | Newsletter
- November 2013 | Newsletter
- November 14, 2013 | Press Release
- June 17, 2013 | Press Release