- J.D., magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center; Order of the Coif
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Southern California; Phi Beta Kappa
- Senior Staff, The Tax Lawyer
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Mr. Meltzer counsels clients on a variety of regulatory, transactional, government affairs, and litigation matters. He has particular experience advising businesses in the broadcast, cable, newspaper, and telecommunications industries regarding Federal Communications Commission (FCC), copyright, and trademark issues.
- Advises broadcast station licensees, cable operators, and media investors on a wide range of FCC regulatory compliance matters, including initial licensing, facilities modifications, assignments and transfers, ownership and attribution rules, Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), closed captioning, and sponsorship identification.
- Provides strategic guidance to television station owners and a leading equipment manufacturer regarding the forthcoming broadcast incentive auction.
- Counsels broadcasters and cable programmers on agreements for program acquisition, network affiliation, syndicated programming, and news sharing. These negotiations frequently involve copyright issues relating to broadcast, mobile and digital distribution rights, and concerns regarding regulatory compliance.
- Advises media clients on programming and advertising content (including political advertising), newsroom policies, First Amendment related issues, and fair use matters, including the use of third-party copyrighted works in original programming and newscasts.
- Researches and drafts FCC comments, pleadings, and other written submissions on a variety of issues affecting communications clients.
- Assists clients asserting and protecting federal trademark, copyright, and trade dress rights, including prosecution and defense of domain name disputes under the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) and the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) and representing parties in disputes regarding ICANN’s new generic top level domain program.
- Litigates complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts across the country.
- Legal Intern, Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Office of Chairman Julius Genachowski (2009).
- Segment Producer, ABC News and Good Morning America (2004-2007).
- News Producer, Tribune Broadcasting (2002-2004).
- News Producer, WPSD-TV (2001-2002).
- American Bar Association (ABA).
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA).
- Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- FCC Establishes Comment Deadlines for 2014 Quadrennial Ownership Review
Kathleen A. Kirby, Eve Klindera Reed, Kathryne C. Dickerson and Ari Meltzer
May 20, 2014
- FCC Releases Report and Order Making Television Joint Sales Agreements Attributable; Proposes Disclosure Requirement for Shared Service Agreements
James R.W. Bayes, Richard J. Bodorff, Gregory L. Masters, Ari Meltzer and Kathryne C. Dickerson
April 17, 2014
- FCC Acts to Attribute Television JSAs and Prohibit Joint Retransmission Consent Agreements; Initiates 2014 Quadrennial Ownership Review
Kathleen A. Kirby, Eve Klindera Reed, Ari Meltzer and Kathryne C. Dickerson
March 31, 2014
- FCC Extends Biennial Ownership Report Deadline to December 20
Kathleen A. Kirby and Ari Meltzer
November 18, 2013
- Wheeler to Take Helm of FCC on Monday
Kathleen A. Kirby, Kathryne C. Dickerson and Ari Meltzer
October 31, 2013