- J.D., with honors, University of Maryland School of Law
- B.A., Elon College
- Articles Editor, Maryland Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fifth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Colorado and District of Maryland
David E. WeslowPARTNER
David focuses his practice on litigation and transactions involving trademarks, copyrights, and domain names, and related product and service development and distribution issues. A former software and web developer, he regularly handles cutting-edge issues and disputes involving law and technology.
David has developed particular expertise helping businesses navigate Internet legal issues and Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) related issues, and is the author of BNA’s Guide to the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act. He is heavily involved with generic top-level domains (gTLDs) including, representation of gTLD applicants and registries, counseling clients on brand protection programs to address new gTLDs, and representation of clients in over a dozen gTLD objection proceedings.
David was named one of DC’s “Rising Stars” for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2013, 2014), and The Legal 500 US 2012 recognized him for his practice “relating to online and emerging technology.” He is also frequently interviewed by media outlets from around the world for commentary on intellectual property, Internet, and technology law issues, and is a frequent lecturer on these issues.
- Developing strategies for global protection and enforcement of trademarks and copyrights in physical and cyber contexts.
- Representing parties in record setting domain name transactions.
- Representing a software development company in a trial of trade secret and unfair competition litigation against a former business partner.
- Preparing a wide range of Internet, new media, and intellectual property agreements and opinions.
- Representing a luxury consumer product company in trademark, copyright, and patent actions throughout the country.
- Representing an information technology company in a trial of trademark infringement claims.
- Representing a pulp and paper product manufacturer in patent, trademark, and commercial contract actions throughout the country.
- Representative Reported Cases:
- CenturyLink IP LLC v. By Proxy, Inc. Domain Names, 2014 UDRP LEXIS 1157 (WIPO 2014).
- Central Source LLC v. Annualcreditreport-com.us, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 109427 (E.D. Va. 2014).
- Central Source LLC v. Annualcreditredport.com, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 110119 (E.D. Va. 2014).
- Payless ShoeSource Worldwide Inc. v. Premier Success, 2014 UDRP LEXIS 773 (WIPO 2014).
- Spanx, Inc. v. Nawas, FA1404001552547 (NAF 2014).
- United Press Int’l Inc. v. UPIphoto.com (E.D. Va. 2013).
- Hong Kong Trade. Dev. v. Rocmary Media Group, HK-1300549 (ADNDRC 2013).
- Electronic Creations Corp. v. Gigahertz, Inc., 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 88805 (N.D.N.Y. 2013).
- Transtex Comp., Inc. v. Laydon Comp., Ltd, 2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 155476 (W.D. Ky. 2012).
- The Boston Consulting Group, Inc. v. Alexander, 2012 UDRP Lexis 1814 (WIPO 2012).
- Anchor Drilling Fluids USA, Inc. v. AnchorDF, 2012 UDRP Lexis 846 (WIPO 2012).
- Myriad Dev., Inc. v. Alltech, Inc., 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 119844 (W.D. Tex. 2011).
- Aquatherm Inc. v. Marketing Express, 2011 UDRP LEXIS 2878 (WIPO 2011).
- Nokota Horse Cons., Inc. v. Bernhardt, 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 105142 (D. N.D. 2009).
- Bains Ultra Inc. v. 7677 East Berry Ave. Assoc., 2009 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14633 (D. Colo. 2009).
- Defever Yachts Int'l LLC v. Yachts West, 2009 UDRP LEXIS 648 (WIPO 2009).
- Alltech Inc. v. Myriad Dev. Inc., 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98707 (W.D. Va. 2008).
- Western Union Holdings, Inc. v. Eastern Union, Inc., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 66281 (N.D. Ga. 2007), aff'd 2008 U.S. App. LEXIS 13226 (11th Cir. 2008).
- American Bar Association (ABA), IP Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) of ICANN's Generic Names Supporting Organization
- International Game Developers Association (IGDA)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Internet Committee
- Editorial Board, Trademarks & Brands Online
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Copyright Law (2012)
- Named one of DC's "Rising Stars" for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2014)
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- Preparing for .Wine and .Vin
David E. Weslow
December 2014 | Wine Business Monthly
- Adapting to New Internet Domain Names from .App to .Zulu
David E. Weslow
August 4, 2014 | Franchise Alert
- Cybersquatting: how to win a Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) dispute
David E. Weslow
June 27, 2014 | Trademarks & Brands Online
SPEECHESCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
Domain Name Registry and Registrar Liability: Recent Developments, Cases and Best PracticesDavid E. Weslow, Moderator
INTA Annual Meeting
May 4, 2015 | San Diego, CA | More Information