- J.D., magna cum laude, George Mason University School of Law
- B.A., magna cum laude, Mary Washington College
- Notes Editor, George Mason Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, Eastern District of Virginia and Southern District of Indiana
Kimberly M. MelvinPARTNER
Kim represents insurers in connection with coverage issues related to professional liability lines of coverage, including liability policies issued to directors and officers, financial institutions, mutual funds, investment advisors, Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), rating agencies, insurance companies, insurance brokers, and lawyers. She has particular expertise regarding bankruptcy and insolvency issues arising in the insurance context as well as fiduciary liability matters.
- Represents professional liability insurers in connection with major corporate scandals, significant financial disruptions, and corporate bankruptcies, including civil litigation, arbitration proceedings, and governmental investigations involving directors and officers, financial institutions, and rating agencies arising from the global credit crisis and subprime mortgage meltdown.
- Regularly represents professional liability insurers in coverage litigation before federal appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts, as well as state courts nationwide.
- Serves as monitoring counsel in connection with securities, derivative, Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), bankruptcy, and employment claims, including large, complex multi-district litigation matters.
- Frequently represents insurers in the mediation of large, complex claims and the negotiation of sophisticated settlements, including coverage workouts.
- Advises clients regarding insurance underwriting for directors and officers and other professional liability policies.
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Bankruptcy & Insolvency Subcommittee (2010-2012)
- Sections of Litigation and Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Tort and Trial Insurance Practice Section, Emerging Issues Special Standing Committee (2010-2011)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Professional Liability Subcommittee (2009-2011)
- Task Force on Corporate Governance Institute (2008-2009)
- Co-Chair, Section of Litigation's Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Diversity Subcommittee (2007-2009)
- Website Editor, Section of Litigation's Professional Liability, Litigation Committee (2007-2009)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named to Business Insurance magazine's list of "Women to Watch" (2013)
- Named a "Rising Star" by Law360 and included on their list of "five insurance lawyers under 40 to watch" (2011)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Insurance Coverage by Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2014)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Insurance Law (2013-2014)
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- SCOTUS Closes One Door but Opens Another in ERISA Stock Drop Cases
Kimberly M. Melvin and John E. Howell
June 26, 2014 | Wiley Rein LLP Executive Summary Blog
- The Winners in Halliburton: Defense Counsel and Experts
Kimberly M. Melvin and John E. Howell
June 24, 2014 | Wiley Rein LLP Executive Summary Blog
SPEECHESCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
In-House Panel on Fiduciary Liability: Underlying Exposures and Coverage Issues, Placing and Underwriting Insurance, Future Needs, and Strategic Litigation and Settlement ConsiderationsKimberly M. Melvin, Speaker
ACI's 9th National Forum on ERISA Litigation
April 14, 2015 | Chicago, IL | More Information