- Election Law & Government Ethics, Co-Chair
- J.D., cum laude, Cornell Law School
- M.A., Johns Hopkins University
- B.A., with distinction, University of Virginia
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Michael E. TonerPARTNER
Mr. Toner, a former Chairman of the Federal Election Commission (FEC), is a seasoned election law expert and political veteran with a wealth of experience advising candidates, political committees, trade associations, and corporate clients on federal and state election law compliance. Chambers USA recognizes Mr. Toner among the nation’s top-tier of election lawyers, citing sources who note that he is “excellent” (2013), a “superstar” (2012), and “unequaled in the field” (2011).
An active author, Mr. Toner has contributed to several books including Barack Obama and the New America, Pendulum Swing, The Year of Obama, The Sixth Year Itch, and Divided States of America: The Slash and Burn Politics of the 2004 Presidential Election. Mr. Toner’s articles have been published in The Washington Post, USA Today, The Boston Globe, The Chicago Tribune, The Washington Times, The Hill, Campaigns & Elections, and Roll Call, and he has appeared as a guest commentator on Fox News Channel, ABC News, CBS Evening News, MSNBC, Bloomberg News, Fox Business Network, C-SPAN, The BBC, and National Public Radio.
- Advises corporations, trade associations, campaign committees, political party committees, and individuals on complying with federal and state election laws, federal and state lobbying laws, ethics and gift restrictions, Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) matters and congressional investigations.
- Chairman (2006) and Commissioner (2002-2007), Federal Election Commission.
- Chief Counsel (2001-2002) and Deputy Counsel (1997-1999), Republican National Committee (RNC).
- General Counsel, Bush-Cheney Transition Team in Washington, DC and Bush-Cheney 2000 Presidential Campaign.
- Counsel, Dole-Kemp Presidential Campaign (1996).
- Adjunct Law Professor, William & Mary Law School (Ongoing).
- Lecturer, University of Virginia (2003).
- Board of Trustees, American Council of Young Political Leaders.
- Board of Advisors, University of Virginia Center for Politics.
- Board of Trustees, National Presbyterian School.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Government Relations (2013-2014).
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business," in Political Law which commends him for being "heralded as an authority in campaign finance" (2010-2013).
- Named one of "Washington's Best Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine (2011, 2013).
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Political Law by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2013).
- One of 10 named by Campaigns & Elections to “The Influencers 50: Enforcers” (2013).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- FEC Announces Bundling Disclosure Threshold and Coordinated Expenditure Limits for 2014
Michael E. Toner and Karen E. Trainer
March 2014 | Election Law News
- FEC Fines Trade Association for PAC Fundraising Violations
Michael E. Toner, Carol A. Laham and Brandis L. Zehr
January 2014 | Election Law News
- Want an Easier Way to Contribute to State Candidates? How Your Federal PAC Can Be Just as Useful Outside Washington, DC
Michael E. Toner and Brandis L. Zehr
November 2013 | Election Law News
- State Lobbying/Campaign Finance Developments in Hawaii, Iowa, and North Carolina
Michael E. Toner and Samuel B. Gedge
September 2013 | Election Law News
- Filing an FEC or LDA Report This Month? 12 Common Mistakes and How You Can Avoid Them
Michael E. Toner, Karen E. Trainer and R. Allen Norfleet
July 2013 | Election Law News
- California Fines Super PAC for Coordinating Mass Mailings with Candidate
Michael E. Toner and Brandis L. Zehr
May 2013 | Election Law News