- LL.B., summa cum laude, Harvard Law School
- B.A., summa cum laude, Amherst College
- Notes Editor, Harvard Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
Bert W. ReinPARTNER
Mr. Rein, a founding partner of the firm, is widely recognized as a leading antitrust and commercial litigator and international law expert. He has been recognized by Legal Times as a “Visionary” and Washington's "Leading Food and Drug Lawyer," and named by Corporate Counsel as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" for excellence in business and commercial litigation, communications and antitrust law.
- Representing petitioner Abigail Fisher in Fisher v. University of Texas, a constitutional challenge to the university's race-based admission policies, to be argued before the Supreme Court of the United States early next Term.
- Representing Shelby County, Alabama in its challenge to the constitutionality of the renewal of the Voting Rights Act.
- Longstanding Washington and antitrust counsel to world's largest airline trade association.
- Longstanding counsel to world's leading international satellite services provider.
- Representing major airline in antitrust civil litigation and merger investigations.
- Leading tort reform initiative for major pharmaceutical companies.
- Representing physicians group in successful effort to overturn U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Pediatric Rule.
- Constitutional litigation including First Amendment and Preemption challenges to regulatory initiatives and tort law expansions.
- Representing insurers and reinsurers in complex coverage litigation and arbitration.
- Director, National Chamber Litigation Center (1992-Present).
- Director, U.S. Chamber of Commerce (1990-1994).
- Reagan Administration Transition Teams for the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission (1981).
- Special Assistant to the Under Secretary of State (1969-1970) and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Economic and Business Affairs (1970-1973), U.S. Department of State.
- General Counsel, Community Learning & Information Network (1998-Present).
- Key Issues Committee, Richard M. Nixon Presidential Campaign (1968).
- Advisory Committee to U.S. Sentencing Commission, Administrative Committee.
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Antitrust Law.
- The American Law Institute (ALI).
- President, International Trade Commission Trial Lawyers Association (ITCTLA) (1990-1991).
- Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), Administrative Committee on Procedural Reform.
- Board Member, National Chamber Litigation Center (NCLC) (1990-Present).
- National Committee on Tourism (1971-1973).
- Chairman, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Law Council (1987-1990).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named a Legal Times "Visionary," one of a select group of lawyers "whose business foresight or legal acumen has expanded their firms, advanced the law or improved government" (2012).
- Named the Washington, DC Administrative/Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America directory (2013).
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "leading lawyer" in Antitrust Law (2009).
- Named the Washington DC area's "Leading Food and Drug Lawyer" by Legal Times (2005).
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Antitrust Litigation (2007-2012) and Business Litigation (2013) by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "3000 Leading Lawyers" (2007, 2010-2011).
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory year after year.
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability.
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- Comcast v. Behrend: Footnote 5 and the Ghost of Carolene Products
Bert W. Rein and John B. Wyss
April 26, 2013 | Bloomberg BNA's Class Action Litigation Report
- First Amendment Defense Prevails Against FDA Prosecution for Off-Label Marketing
Caronia Decision Could Have Profound Impact on FDA Power to Regulate Promotion of Drugs, Devices, Dietary Supplements
James N. Czaban and Bert W. Rein
December 3, 2012
- 'Pomdering' the FTC's Substantiation Doctrine and the First Amendment
Bert W. Rein and John E. Barry
August 22, 2012 | Bloomberg BNA's Antitrust & Trade Regulation Report
- Administrative Law Bulletin: Coalition For Responsible Regulation v. Environmental Protection Agency Highly Deferential Judicial Review of Agency Scientific Determinations
Bert W. Rein, Richard L. McConnell and Brendan J. Morrissey
July 9, 2012
- Administrative Law Bulletin: Christopher v. SmithKline Beecham—A New Limit on the Deference Accorded to an Agency's Interpretation of Its Own Regulations
Bert W. Rein, Helgi C. Walker, Brendan J. Morrissey and Elbert Lin
June 20, 2012