- Communications, Chair
- Honorary Doctor of Laws, The Catholic University of America
- LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law
- B.S., with distinction, Northwestern University
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Illinois Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Seventh, Ninth and District of Columbia Circuits
Richard E. WileyCHAIRMAN
Mr. Wiley heads the firm’s 80-attorney Communications Practice, the largest in the nation. As Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), he fostered increased competition and lessened regulation in the communications field. Mr. Wiley played a pivotal role in the development of HDTV in this country, serving for nine years as Chairman of the FCC’s Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Service. He represents a number of major communications-oriented organizations, including Verizon, AT&T, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, Newspaper Association of America, Motorola, CBS, Belo, Gannett, Sirius/XM, Emmis, Gray Television, and LG. Mr. Wiley also is a frequent author and lecturer on telecommunications and information law.
- Chairman, Commissioner and General Counsel of the Federal Communications Commission (1970-1977).
- Chair, FCC's Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Service (1987-1995).
- American Bar Association (ABA).
- Chair, Law Day (2003); Chair, Committee on Governmental Affairs (1997-2000); Chair, Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice (1994); Chair, Forum Committee on Communications Law (1985-1987); Chair, ABA Journal, Board of Editors (1985-1988); Chair, Young Lawyers Section (1968).
- Chair, Advisory Board, Columbia University's Institute for Tele-Information.
- Senior Fellow, Council of the Administrative Conference of the United States (ACUS) (2010-Present).
- President, Federal Bar Association (1976-1977) and Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA) (1986-1987).
- Chairman, The Media Institute's Board of Trustees.
HONORS & AWARDS
Mr. Wiley has often been profiled by the media and recognized for his expertise and contributions to the communications industry. The following is a sample of recent honors.
- Recognized by Washingtonian magazine as one of Washington's 30 "Superstar" lawyers for his role as "the unofficial sixth commissioner" of the FCC (2011) and consistently named one of Washington's "Best Lawyers" and "Top Lawyers" by the magazine.
- Included among Bloomberg Businessweek's list of Washington, DC "Power Brokers" (2011).
- Named the Washington, DC Administrative/Regulatory Law "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America directory (2011).
- Named to the National Law Journal's list of "The Decade's Most Influential Lawyers" (2010).
- Named a "Star of the Bar" (2009) by Washingtonian magazine.
- The "most prominent telecommunications lawyer and lobbyist in Washington" by Broadcasting & Cable (2005).
- The "Father of High-Definition" television by The Globe and Mail (2005).
- The "most influential media and telecommunications lawyer in the United States" by the International Herald Tribune (2003).
- An "Enduring Influence" by The National Law Journal, which has regularly named him as one of "The 100 Most Influential Lawyers in America" (1988, 1991, 1994, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2013).
- "The Sixth Commissioner" by the Los Angeles Times (2001).
- The "Godfather of HDTV" by Mediaweek (2001).
- "A Telecom Lion" by Investor's Business Daily (1996).
- The "Lion of the Communications Bar" by The National Law Journal (1995).
- "Telecommunications' Ubiquitous Man of Influence" by The New York Times (1992).
- The "Brand Name of the Communications Bar" by The American Lawyer (1992).
- One of the top "100 Men of the Century" by Broadcasting & Cable (1999).
- One of HollywoodReporter, ESQ's "Power Lawyers 2007," for outstanding achievements in and contributions to entertainment and media law (2007).
- Named a Legal Times "Visionary," one of a select group of lawyers "whose foresight and hard work have changed the business of law in Washington" (2008).
- The Washington, DC area's "Leading Communications Lawyer" by Legal Times (2007).
- One of Washington's "Top 30 Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine, which recognized him as "a force in developing both policies and technologies" (2004).
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" for both Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite and Media & Entertainment: Mainly Regulatory (2003-2014).
- One of the Lawdragon "500 Leading Lawyers in America" (2005-2008, 2010-2013); one of the Lawdragon 500 "Dealmakers" (2007); and one of Lawdragon's "100 Managing Partners You Need to Know" (2008).
- Named a Legal 500 leading lawyer, "peerless" in the areas of Media and Telecom law (2007-2014).
- One of the Washington, DC area's "Top Ten" lawyers by Super Lawyers magazine (2007, 2008).
- Named one of DC's "Top 100 Lawyers" (2009-2012, 2014) and "Super Lawyers" (2009-2014) by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Recognized as one of The Best Lawyers in America for Communications Law, Administrative/Regulatory Law, Media Law, and Mergers & Acquisition Law for decades.
- Rated in the top tier of regulatory communications attorneys by The International Who's Who of Business Lawyers, which includes him in its lists of "the practice area's elite" and "most highly regarded individuals." The publication also notes that he is said to be a "doyen of the communications bar" (2005-2013).
- Named one of DC's "Power 100" by Washington Life Magazine (2007).
- Named to Washingtonian magazine's "Power 150" list of Washington's "most influential" (2007).
- Named to the Washingtonian list of top communications lawyers to see if you have business with the FCC (2007).
- Recognized as a "Leading Individual" in the field of Telecommunications Law by the Practical Law Company's Which Lawyer? directory (2007).
- Included in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Telecommunications Lawyers (2011).
- Included in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers (2007, 2010).
- Included in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers-Best of the Best USA (2006, 2009).
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability.
- Broadcasters Foundation of America's Lowry Mays Excellence in Broadcasting Award (2014).
- Library of American Broadcasting’s Giants of Broadcasting Award (2013).
- American Lawyer's Lifetime Achiever Award (2012).
- Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame Award (2009).
- Award of Special Recognition from the Radio and Television News Directors Foundation (2007).
- Chambers USA Award for Excellence in the area of telecommunications regulatory work (2006).
- The North American Broadcasters Association's International Achievement Award (2004).
- The National Association of Broadcasters' Distinguished Service Award (2002).
- The RCR Wireless Hall of Fame Award (2002).
- The Digital Pioneer's Award (2000).
- An Emmy from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (1997).
- The Electronic Industries' Medal of Honor (1996).
- Broadcasting & Cable Hall of Fame Award (1993).