- J.D., summa cum laude, Washington and Lee University School of Law; Order of the Coif
- B.A., Vanderbilt University
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
Richard W. SmithPARTNER
Mr. Smith is an experienced trial litigator with multiple bench and jury trials to his credit. His litigation practice focuses on intellectual property, sports, federal election and campaign finance, securities and general commercial litigation. Among other high-profile litigation matters, Mr. Smith participated in the Florida recount litigation in the aftermath of the 2000 presidential election, the constitutional challenge to the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002, a multi-billion dollar antitrust bundling litigation and the criminal trial of a Florida man accused of committing first-degree felony murder.
Mr. Smith has represented all of the national republican political party committees in defamation or First Amendment litigation, a professional sports league in intellectual property and personal injury litigation, a number of major pharmaceutical and biotechnology corporations in products liability litigation and various clients in securities and antitrust litigation.
- Represented a national automobile association as national intellectual property litigation counsel in trademark and copyright infringement litigation across the United States.
- Served as counsel to an independent consultant in residential mortgage foreclosure reviews undertaken pursuant to consent orders between the nation’s largest mortgage servicers and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Reserve Board.
- Advised political candidates, trade associations, corporations and other law firms on federal and state campaign finance statutes and regulations.
- Represented the National Football League (NFL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Madison Square Garden and several beverage alcohol manufacturers and distributors in connection with alcohol sales policy and litigation matters.
- Represented Tyco International in defense of D&O insurance rescission suits stemming from public allegations of improprieties by chief executives.
- Advised Fortune 20 company in securities litigation stemming from alleged accounting irregularities in corporate acquisition.
- Frequent lecturer on a variety of topics including electronic discovery, effective oral advocacy, early case assessments and capital murder defense.
- Law Counsel, Washington and Lee University School of Law.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Included in Euromoney’s Benchmark Litigation guide as a “Future Star” (2010).
- Named by Lawdragon as one of America’s “Leading Lawyers” (2008).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- FCPA Defendants: "May Their Sins Be Forgotten?"
Gregory M. Williams, Richard W. Smith and Christen M. Price*
April 2013 | The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 21, No. 4