Charles Owen Verrill, Jr.PARTNER
Mr. Verrill regularly represents clients on all aspects of international trade law and policy, including import and export regulation, import trade remedies, international bilateral and multilateral negotiations, international arbitration and mediation in commercial disputes. He has been named one of the “Leaders of Their Field” for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy by Chambers Global, and one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business” in International Trade and “a legend in the trade policy field” (2011). In 2012, Chambers USA, noted that peers “think enormously high” of practice chairman emeritus Mr. Verrill, who “has a sterling reputation for his extensive experience across the board in trade remedies and policy work.” Mr. Verrill also has been named a “Leading Lawyer” in Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides: Guide to the World’s Leading International Trade Lawyers and is listed in the International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, Who’s Who in the World and Who’s Who in America.
- Arbitration of international commercial disputes and multinational investment dispute resolution, including proceedings before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). Recent cases include Funnekotter and Others and Republic of Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/05/6 (counsel for claimants); Trans-Global Petroleum, Inc. and The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/25 (counsel for claimant); Olyana v. Rwanda, ICSID Case No. ARB10/10 (counsel for claimant); Von Pezold v. Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/15 (co-counsel for claimants); Border Timbers Ltd. v. Zimbabwe, ICSID Case No. ARB/10/25 (co-counsel for claimants).
- Counsel to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in filing amicus brief before an UNCITRAL Tribunal in UPS v. Canada (NAFTA Chapter XI).
- Counsels clients in antidumping and countervailing duty law, multilateral and bilateral trade negotiations, Section 301 cases, GATT affairs and international arbitration.
- Presents antidumping and countervailing duty cases before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC), the Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Advised the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) on arguments before international dispute resolution panels and has been involved in numerous multilateral and bilateral negotiations.
- Represented private interests in an international trade dispute between the United States and Norway, one of few such disputes to result in an award of damages.
- Represented clients before Secofi, the Mexican antidumping authority, and similar foreign regulatory bodies.
- Senior Lecturing Fellow, International Business Transactions, Duke University School of Law (1998-Present). This course covers all aspects of international commercial transactions, including dispute resolution before U.S. and foreign courts and arbitration before specialized arbitration venues including ICSID.
- Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulations, Georgetown University Law Center (1978-Present).
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law and Practice.
- Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR).
- American Society on International Law (ASIL).
- Editorial Advisory Committee of International Legal Materials (2007- Present).
- Court of International Trade Bar Association.
- Board of Visitors, Duke University School of Law (2000-Present).
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for International and Comparative Law (1986-Present).
- Advisory Board Member, Institute for Transnational Arbitration, (2002-Present).
- International Bar Association (IBA).
- International Dispute Resolution Group, c/o Lamb Chambers, The Temple, London, England.
- International Institution for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR).
- International Law Institute.
- Board of Trustees, (1975-Present).
- President (2003 - Present).
- National Arbitration Forum.
- Campaign Cabinet, Penobscot River Restoration Trust (Maine) (2005-Present).
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA).
- Vice-President and Director, The Friends of the Law Library of Congress (2007-Present).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named as one of the top 25 preeminent International Trade lawyers in the Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers-Best of the Best USA (2010).
- Listed by Chambers Global as one of the "Leaders in Their Field" for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2009, 2011-2013).
- Recipient of Duke University Law School's Charles S. Rhyne Award (2007).
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for International by Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2013).
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Trade Remedy & Trade Policy (2005-2012).
- Noted for his "decades-long reputation for excellence in the trade arena" by Chambers Global (2008).
- Included in the Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading International Trade Lawyers (2007-2008, 2010).
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "500 Leading Lawyers in America" Finalist (2007, 2010).
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "3000 Leading Lawyers in America" (2011).
- Included in the International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers and the International Who's Who of Business Lawyers (2008-2011).
- Charles Fahy Distinguished Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center (1993).
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability.