- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law; Order of the Coif
- B.E., summa cum laude, Vanderbilt University
- Executive Editor, Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Missouri Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Scott A. FelderPARTNER
Mr. Felder represents clients in the acquisition, protection, management, and enforcement of intellectual property rights, with a particular emphasis on patent law. He also advises clients concerning all aspects of intellectual property in relation to government contracts, including with respect to patent rights and rights in technical data and computer software and represents clients in intellectual property disputes with the government. Mr. Felder has specific expertise in intellectual property under U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) contracts.
Mr. Felder frequently publishes and speaks on intellectual property law, both generally and in relation to government contracts. He currently serves as a vice chair of the Intellectual Property Committee of the American Bar Association's (ABA) Section of Public Contract Law.
- Prepares and prosecutes patent applications in a number of diverse fields, including fluid systems, aerospace and automotive technologies, medical devices, computer hardware and software, laboratory equipment, wireless communications, consumer and industrial goods, and Internet and other business methods.
- Represents clients in appeals to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Performs validity, non-infringement, and freedom-to-operate analyses.
- Conducts intellectual property due diligence studies.
- Assists clients with intellectual property licensing and other transactions.
- Represents clients in patent infringement litigation in district courts and the U.S. Court of Federal Claims.
- Represents clients before the Boards of Contract Appeals in connection with intellectual property disputes.
- Advises government contractors in connection with licensing their intellectual property to the federal government under contracts and other agreements.
- Advises government contractors concerning the impact of fiscal law on their relationship with their customers.
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's (JAG) Corps.
- Professor of Contract and Fiscal Law, The Judge Advocate General's Legal Center and School, Charlottesville, VA (2006-Present). Instructs in both Fiscal Law and Government Contract Law, including courses on Military Construction Law and Funding and Intellectual Property in Government Contracts. Currently serves as Vice Chair (Reserve Faculty) for the Department of Contract and Fiscal Law.
- Associate General Counsel, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD (2010-2013).
- Assistant Counsel, Office of Chief Counsel, Headquarters, US Army Corps of Engineers, Washington, DC (2002-2005). Advised the Chief Counsel and command senior leadership in all aspects of intellectual property acquisition, management, and enforcement. Developed the patent law curriculum for the first Intellectual Property and Non-FAR Transactions course at The Judge Advocate General's Legal Center and School in Charlottesville, VA.
- American Bar Association (ABA).
- Section of Intellectual Property Law.
- Vice Chair, Section of Public Contract Law, Intellectual Property Committee (2011-Present).
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA).
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Federal Circuit Bar Association.
- Society of American Military Engineers (SAME).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property by Super Lawyers magazine (2013).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- Are Octane Fitness and Highmark This Year's Real Patent Reform?
Scott A. Felder and Brian H. Pandya
June 2014 | Intellectual Property Today
- Supreme Court Reshapes Fee Shifting in Patent Infringement Cases
Scott A. Felder and Brian H. Pandya
April 29, 2014 | Intellectual Property Alert
- Significant Development Regarding Differential Pay for Federal Employees Mobilized Under “Voluntary” Authority
Jennifer S. Zucker, Scott A. Felder and Adrienne Johnson
December 2013 | Service Members Law Center, Law Review 13160
- Fourth Circuit Protects Rights of Patent Licensees in Cross-Border Bankruptcy Case
Dylan G. Trache and Scott A. Felder
December 5, 2013 | Intellectual Property/Bankruptcy Protector Alert
- Where AIA Meets Bayh-Dole Act: Beware the Ticking Clock
Scott A. Felder and Rachel K. Hunnicutt
October 29, 2013 | Law360