- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Akron School of Law
- B.A.J., cum laude, St. Bonaventure University
- Text & Research Editor, Akron Law Review
- Assistant Editor, Akron Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Ohio Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Sixth, Ninth and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, Northern District of Ohio and Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Brendan J. MorrisseyOF COUNSEL
Brendan has a diverse, litigation-focused practice assisting clients with trial and appellate matters. He has particular experience litigating cases in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, as well as litigating and developing litigation strategies for telecommunications actions, class actions, subpoena defense and enforcement actions, False Claims Act (FCA) actions, voting rights actions, and actions under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA) in the federal courts nationwide. Brendan also has substantial experience developing challenges to federal agency action, and regularly represents clients before the Supreme Court of the United States in cases involving a variety of issues arising under the U.S. Constitution.
- Successfully defended the national not-for-profit corporation against several putative class actions alleging misleading labeling of food products.
- Ongoing representation of an FCA relator in a case alleging that student lenders fraudulently obtained millions of dollars in subsidies from the federal government, which has resulted in settlements of more than $70 million and two favorable precedential opinions from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Represented a not-for-profit corporation in consolidated appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit pertaining to breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims.
- Continuing representation of insurers in litigation testing the U.S. Court of Federal Claims precedent regarding equitable subrogation claims under the Tucker Act.
- Regular representation of clients in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and other courts in connection with non-party document and testimonial subpoenas relating to out-of-district litigation.
- Regular practitioner in the Supreme Court of the United States with experience drafting nearly two dozen Supreme Court merits and amicus curiae petitions and briefs in a wide range of cases, including federal preemption, equal protection, and voting rights.
Voting and Election Law:
- Successfully represented Shelby County, Ala in the Voting Rights Act litigation before the federal trial and appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Assisted the State of Florida in successfully obtaining preclearance of voting changes from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.
- Represented the State of Ohio in defense of action brought under the Equal Protection Clause relating to changes in absentee voting procedures.
- Assisted the Florida House of Representatives in defense of redistricting litigation.
- Represented a telecommunications company in litigation successfully employing the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) "Shot Clock Order" to obtain an injunction requiring a grant of long-delayed wireless siting permits.
- Regularly defends clients in agency proceedings and the federal court against the release of sensitive documents through Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests and advises clients on FOIA-related business issues.
- Assisted with the successful defense of a telecommunications provider against a $100 million claim for municipal "franchise" fees.
- Legal Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio at Akron (2003)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- Republic of Argentina v. NML Capital, Ltd.: The Overlooked Solution to the FSIA Post-Judgment Discovery Problem
Brendan J. Morrissey
April 1, 2014 | Bloomberg BNA's The United States Law Week