- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Akron School of Law
- B.A.J., cum laude, St. Bonaventure University
- Text & Research Editor, Akron Law Review
- Assistant Editor, Akron Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York Bar
- Ohio Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Sixth and Ninth Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
Brendan J. MorrisseyASSOCIATE
Mr. Morrissey has a diverse, litigation-focused practice assisting clients with trial and appellate matters before courts and federal agencies. He has particular experience litigating cases on a variety of subject matters for telecommunications clients, subpoena defense and enforcement actions, False Claims Act (FCA) actions, and voting rights cases in the federal courts. Mr. Morrissey also regularly represents clients before the Supreme Court of the United States in cases involving a variety of issues arising under the U.S. Constitution.
- Represented a telecommunications company in litigation successfully employing the Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) "Shot Clock Order" to obtain an injunction requiring grant of long-delayed wireless siting permits.
- Assisted in obtaining a dismissal of several complaints alleging injury from radiofrequency emissions at or prior to the motion to dismiss stage on behalf of telecommunications companies.
- Represented an energy company in administrative and bankruptcy proceedings involving the transfer of FCC licenses.
- Regularly defends clients in agency proceedings and federal court against the release of sensitive documents through Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Defended a telecommunications company against litigation before federal court and an administrative agency alleging noncompliance with intercarrier compensation tariffs and the Communications Act.
- Successfully defended a telecommunications company before federal trial and appellate courts in litigation alleging that a decision of the Connecticut Siting Council violated the Telecommunications Act and U.S. Constitution.
- Assisted with the successful defense of a telecommunications provider against a $100 million claim for municipal "franchise" fees.
- Ongoing representation of a FCA relator in a case alleging that student lenders fraudulently obtained millions of dollars in subsidies from the federal government, which has resulted in settlements of more than $70 million and a favorable opinion from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Successfully defended a state agency client against a motion to quash a subpoena in D.C. Superior Court.
- Continuing representation of several clients in connection with non-party document and testimonial subpoenas relating to federal litigation.
- Continuing representation of a petitioner in federal habeas corpus action raising Confrontation Clause, Due Process, and other claims arising under the U.S. Constitution.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in litigation before the Supreme Court of the United States concerning federal preemption of state tort claims.
- Part of team that represented a satellite radio company in a proceeding before the Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) to set copyright royalties for the public performance of sound recordings over satellite digital audio radio services.
- Regular practitioner in the Supreme Court of the United States with experience drafting over fifteen Supreme Court merits and amicus curiae briefs in cases ranging from federal preemption to voting rights.
Voting and Election Law:
- Continuing representation of a county in Voting Rights Act litigation before federal trial and appellate courts, including the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Assisted the State of Florida in successfully obtaining preclearance of voting changes from the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia under Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.
- Represented the State of Ohio in defense of action brought under the Equal Protection Clause relating to changes in absentee voting procedures.
- Represented Dutch commercial farmers in action seeking to collect, under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA), on judgment awarded them by an international arbitration tribunal.
- Represented a Social Security claimant wrongfully denied benefits.
- Regularly represents public interest groups seeking to vindicate important constitutional interests before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Legal Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office for the Northern District of Ohio at Akron (2003).
- American Bar Association (ABA).
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA).