- Telephony, Chair
- J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
- B.S., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University
- Editor in Chief, Vanderbilt Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Middle District of Tennessee and Northern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
Bennett L. RossPARTNER
With more than 20 years of experience in the communications industry, Bennett provides strategic advice to telecommunications carriers, equipment manufacturers, technology companies, investment firms, and industry trade associations. He represents clients before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public service commissions in rulemakings, enforcement proceedings, and transactions involving regulated entities. Bennett also prepares and negotiates commercial agreements in the communications industry, providing regulatory, corporate, and commercial advice.
- Successfully represented trade association in securing forbearance from legacy telecommunications regulations.
- Successfully defended two large hotel operators in FCC enforcement actions, which involved issues of first impression about the ability of a network operator to use FCC-authorized equipment to manage its Wi-Fi network, even when causing interference to devices regulated under Part 15 of the FCC's rules.
- Successfully represented clients in acquiring and disposing of telecommunications carriers, including obtaining regulatory approvals at the federal and state level.
- Successfully defended competing telecommunications carrier in federal bankruptcy court action seeking to terminate carrier's service.
- Successfully defended incumbent local exchange carrier in state commission proceedings seeking approximately $10 million in rate reductions.
- Represented clients before the FCC and state commissions in rulemaking and enforcement proceedings on broadband, universal service, network interconnection, and unbundling matters.
- Prepared and negotiated fiber IRU agreements, Internet peering agreements, and voice and data service agreements on behalf of clients in the United States and abroad.
- Counseled clients on federal and state regulatory requirements governing voice, video, and broadband services, as well as new technologies such as VoIP and cloud communications.
- Advised clients about privacy issues and federal E-Rate program compliance.
- Assisted clients in obtaining approximately $450 million in broadband stimulus funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc
- General Counsel, Washington, DC and Georgia
- Senior Attorney, Regulatory and Governmental Affairs Section
- Partner, Bass, Berry & Sims (Nashville, TN)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Board of Trustees, Washington and Lee University (2009-Present)
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2015)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a "recommended lawyer" in Telecom and Broadcast Regulatory Law (2014)
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- The FCC's Open Internet Order: New Net Neutrality Rules and Title II Regulation of Broadband
Bennett L. Ross, Thomas J. Navin, Eve Klindera Reed and Brett A. Shumate
March 16, 2015
- FCC Adopts New Net Neutrality Rules and Imposes Title II Regulation on Broadband Services
Bennett L. Ross, Thomas J. Navin and Brett A. Shumate
February 26, 2015
- Internet Regulation: Full Steam Ahead?
Bennett L. Ross
February 10, 2015 | Los Angeles Daily Journal
- FCC Intends To Seek Treble Damages for Universal Service Fund and Other Federal Program Payment Violations
Thomas J. Navin, Bennett L. Ross and Michael A. McCauley*
February 4, 2015
- Don’t Tread on the Internet
Bennett L. Ross and Brett A. Shumate
November 19, 2014 | Los Angeles Daily Journal
- A Carrier's Failure to Implement Adequate Data Security Measures May Violate the Communications Act
Bennett L. Ross, Joshua S. Turner, Megan L. Brown and Henry, Gola
October 27, 2014
- The Next Step for Net Neutrality
Bennett L. Ross
July 25, 2014 | Los Angeles Daily Journal
- FCC Makes Significant Changes To E-Rate Program
Bennett L. Ross, Edgar Class and Joan Stewart
July 24, 2014