- Telephony, Chair
- J.D., Vanderbilt Law School; Order of the Coif
- B.S., magna cum laude, Washington and Lee University
- Editor in Chief, Vanderbilt Law Review
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Sixth, Eleventh and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Tennessee, Middle District of Tennessee and Northern District of Georgia
- Supreme Court of Georgia
Bennett L. RossPARTNER
With more than 20 years of experience in the communications industry, Mr. Ross provides strategic advice to telecommunications carriers, equipment manufacturers, technology companies, investment firms, and industry trade associations. He represents clients before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and state public service commissions in rulemakings, enforcement proceedings, and transactions involving regulated entities. Mr. Ross also prepares and negotiates commercial agreements in the communications industry, providing regulatory, corporate, and commercial advice.
- Successfully represented trade association in securing forbearance from legacy telecommunications regulations.
- Successfully represented clients in acquiring and disposing of telecommunications carriers, including obtaining regulatory approvals at the federal and state level.
- Successfully defended competing telecommunications carrier in federal bankruptcy court action seeking to terminate carrier's service.
- Successfully defended incumbent local exchange carrier in state commission proceedings seeking approximately $10 million in rate reductions.
- Represented clients before the FCC and state commissions in rulemaking and enforcement proceedings on broadband, universal service, network interconnection, and unbundling matters.
- Prepared and negotiated fiber IRU agreements, Internet peering agreements, and voice and data service agreements on behalf of clients in the United States and abroad.
- Counseled clients on federal and state regulatory requirements governing voice, video, and broadband services, as well as new technologies such as VoIP and cloud communications.
- Advised clients about privacy issues and federal E-Rate program compliance.
- Assisted clients in obtaining approximately $450 million in broadband stimulus funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc.
- General Counsel, Washington, DC and Georgia.
- Senior Attorney, Regulatory and Governmental Affairs Section.
- Partner, Bass, Berry & Sims (Nashville, TN).
- American Bar Association (ABA).
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA).
- Board of Trustees, Washington and Lee University (2009-Present).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2013).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- New COPPA Rule Expands Children's Online Privacy Protections
Bennett L. Ross and Amy E. Worlton
December 20, 2012