Robert L. WalkerOF COUNSEL
Mr. Walker, a former Chief Counsel and Staff Director of both the Senate and House ethics committees, counsels a wide range of clients on congressional and government ethics, lobbying rules, and white collar defense matters. Possessing more than a decade of high-level congressional experience and an equally long tenure as a federal prosecutor, he provides counseling, investigatory, and litigation services to corporate clients and government officials, focusing on government ethics, lobbying compliance, and other areas of political law and on white collar defense matters.
- Advises federal officeholders, political candidates and committees, corporations, other business organizations, and private individuals on all aspects of political law, including campaign finance, government ethics, and lobbying law compliance, including all aspects of the Honest Leadership and Open Government Act of 2007 (HLOGA), the Lobbying Disclosure Act (LDA), and congressional and ethics rules.
- Consults on compliance programs and conducts sensitive, high-profile investigations; assists clients with responses to and appearances in connection with grand jury and congressional subpoenas and investigations.
- Counsels clients in government ethics matters before the Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE), Office of Government Ethics (OGE), the Senate Select Committee on Ethics, and the House of Representatives Committee on Ethics.
- Conducts legal compliance audits and internal investigations in connection with campaign finance, government ethics, and lobbying activities.
- Chief Counsel and Staff Director, Select Committee on Ethics, U.S. Senate (2003-2008). Bipartisan hire.
- Counseled Senators and staff on compliance with ethics rules, regulations, and statutes, including those mandated by the HLOGA.
- Served as lead counsel in all Committee investigations of misconduct.
- Directed the annual financial disclosure process applicable to all Senators, candidates, and staff.
- Chief Counsel and Staff Director, Committee on Standards of Official Conduct, U.S. House of Representatives (now the Committee on Ethics) (1999-2003). Bipartisan hire.
- Developed ethics and advisory program for the House and directed its implementation.
- Developed investigatory strategy regarding allegations of misconduct, supervised investigations and disciplinary process.
- Counsel, Select Committee on Ethics, U.S. Senate (1997-1999).
- Trial Attorney, Public Integrity Section, U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division (1995-1997).
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia (1989-1995).
- Staff Attorney, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Division of Enforcement (1987-1989).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named one of Washington's "Best Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine (2011).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- A Focus on Non-Deductible Lobbying Calculations Can Lead to Lower Taxes
D. Mark Renaud and Robert L. Walker
November 2014 | Election Law News
- White House Modifies Restrictions on Federal Advisory Committee Service by Lobbyists
Robert L. Walker and Carol A. Laham
September 2014 | Election Law News
- It’s Back: Legislation to Regulate “Political Intelligence” Activities is Re-Introduced in the House
Robert L. Walker and Brandis L. Zehr
September 2014 | Election Law News
- The House Claims “Absolute Immunity” in Refusing to Comply with SEC Investigative Subpoenas; Rep. Slaughter Vows to Re-Introduce “Political Intelligence” Regulation Legislation this Congress
Robert L. Walker and Michael E. Toner
July 2014 | Election Law News