- J.D., Columbus School of Law, The Catholic University of America
- B.A., American University; Kinsman-Hurst Award
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia and Western District of Virginia
- Board Certified, Business Bankruptcy Law, American Board of Certification
The American Board of Certification is accredited by the American Bar Association to certify lawyers in the areas of bankruptcy law and creditors' right law. There is no procedure in the Commonwealth of Virginia for approving certifying organizations.
H. Jason GoldPARTNER
Named as one of Washington, DC’s “Top 100 Lawyers” (2011-2013) and as one of Virginia’s “Top 50 Lawyers” (2011) by Super Lawyers magazine, Mr. Gold has more than 30 years of experience in complex restructuring and insolvency matters. In recent years, the focus of his practice has been on major media, retail, real estate, automotive, aviation, and telecommunications cases. A member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, he has also served as a bankruptcy trustee for more than 20 years and has successfully liquidated or participated in the restructure of dozens of businesses. Mr. Gold leads a group of nationally recognized bankruptcy lawyers that is called upon by all types of clients in chapter 11 cases and other insolvency-related restructurings or liquidations.
His expertise, and that of his team, is of particular value in connection with complex liquidations, fraud investigations, corporate investigations, and service as a bankruptcy trustee, bankruptcy examiner, and federal or state court appointed Receiver. A frequent speaker and author on bankruptcy issues, Mr. Gold has provided congressional testimony on chapter 7 bankruptcy trustee responsibilities and compensation.
Named by Chambers USA as one of “America’s Leading Lawyers for Business,” Mr. Gold is commended for the “great depth of his practice” (2012) and his ability to “handle the technical aspects of a case and also deal with public relations” (2013). He is lauded for his “particular expertise in acting as a trustee during proceedings and in acting for bankrupt law firms” (2013) and is referred to as a “long standing authority” (2011). Recognizing him as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate Restructuring, The Legal 500 US notes that Mr. Gold is regarded as “among the best in this field” (2013) and commends his “exceptional reputation” (2011). Mr. Gold was also dubbed a “Top Bankruptcy Lawyer” by Washingtonian magazine and included as one of “The Best Lawyers in America” for bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights law.
- Represented international law firm Howrey LLP as Debtor-in-Possession in its chapter 11 case. At its peak, Howrey had 17 offices across the United States, Europe and Asia.
- Currently represents the Debtors-in-Possession in the Black Crow Media Group chapter 11 reorganization cases. Black Crow owns and operates 22 radio stations in the Southeast United States.
- Currently represents major creditors and other parties in connection with Circuit City, Madoff, and other national cases.
- Currently serves as the chapter 11 Trustee in the Vijay Taneja case, one of the largest (over $150 million) real estate mortgage fraud and Ponzi scheme cases filed in the Washington, DC region.
- Served as Trustee of Fairchild Dornier Aviation of North America, liquidating the $300 million North American operations of this venerable European aircraft manufacturer and returning an over 100% dividend to creditors.
- Represented the debtors-in-possession in The Rowe Companies (a $350 million furniture manufacturer and retailer) chapter 11 cases.
- Represented numerous automobile dealerships in connection with the insolvencies of the major automobile manufacturers.
- Served and is serving as trustee in over 200 real estate related cases.
- Served as chapter 7 trustee in the Computer Learning Centers, Inc. case, successfully liquidating 25 schools in 10 states and raising $30 million-largely from intangible assets-to benefit more than 9,000 mostly consumer and employee creditors.
- Served as special Bankruptcy Counsel to the Commonwealth of Virginia and its departments and agencies.
- Served as an expert witness in myriad bankruptcy-related litigations.
- Instructor, American Board of Certification, Attorney Certification Exam Review Course in Business Bankruptcy Law (1999, 2004).
- Master of the Bench, Walter Chandler American Inn of Court (1989-2002).
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI).
- Chair, Telecommunications & Technology Committee (2006-2010).
- Board of Directors, American Board of Certification.
- Board of Directors, National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees (NABT).
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees, (1987-Present).
- Bankruptcy Judge Selection Panel (1994).
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named one of DC's "Top 100 Lawyers" (2011-2013) and "Super Lawyers" (2009-2013) for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Named one of Virginia's "Top 50 Lawyers" (2011) and "Super Lawyers" (2008-2013) for Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Named one of "Washington's Best Lawyers" (2011, 2013) and one of "Washington's Top Lawyers" (2004, 2007, 2009) by Washingtonian magazine.
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Bankruptcy Law (2009) and Corporate Restructuring (2010-2013).
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2009-2013).
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights (2007-2014), and Bankruptcy Litigation (2013-2014).
- Named a Lawdragon Leading Lawyer finalist (2007, 2010, 2011).
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability.
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- Does the 326(a) Commission Apply to Disbursements of Non-Debtor Property?
H. Jason Gold and John T. Farnum
Winter 2012 | NABTalk, Volume 28, Issue 4