- J.D., with highest honors, Rutgers University School of Law at Camden
- B.A., magna cum laude, University of Delaware; Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- New Jersey Bar
- Pennsylvania Bar
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the First, Fourth, Fifth, Tenth, Federal and District of Columbia Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and District of New Jersey
Claire J. EvansPARTNER
Ms. Evans represents clients in connection with complex litigation and regulatory matters before federal and state trial and appellate courts, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and state regulatory commissions. Prior to joining Wiley Rein, she was a law clerk for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas and an attorney at the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ).
- Represents telecommunications companies in complex litigation and regulatory proceedings involving rate-setting disputes, the deployment of broadband infrastructure, wireless facility siting, joint use, and pole attachment issues.
- Litigates federal jurisdiction, preemption, constitutional, and administrative law issues raised in ongoing intellectual property litigation and appeals.
- Counsels telecommunications companies on the scope of their federal rights and develops litigation strategies under the Communications Act, Copyright Act, Patent Act, and other applicable laws.
- Regularly files amicus and merits briefs in the U.S. Courts of Appeals and the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Representative matters include:
- Counsel for national telecommunications companies in rate disputes pending before state and federal courts, the FCC, and state regulatory commissions.
- Counsel for national telecommunications company in district court wireless facility siting litigation.
- Counsel for a coalition of companies in a proceeding at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) regarding implementation of the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in connection with patent litigation involving cyclobenzaprine HCl (Amrix®) and fenofibrate (Antara®).
- Represented financial institution in successful arbitration over indemnification contract.
- Counsel in a challenge to Puerto Rico’s beer tax as unconstitutional under the dormant Commerce Clause.
- Counsel for a national telecommunications company in copyright royalty fee litigation before the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) rate court to set license fees for the public performance of musical works in a variety of wireless communications products and services.
- At the DOJ, briefed and argued cases before five courts of appeals.
- U.S. Department of Justice.
- Attorney, Criminal Division, Criminal Appellate Section (2006-2007).
- Bristow Fellow, Office of the Solicitor General (2005-2006).
- Attorney, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Office of the General Counsel (2005).
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- Round Two: Joint Use After the D.C. Circuit's Pole Attachment Decision
Christopher S. Huther and Claire J. Evans
May 1, 2013 | BNA’s Communications Environmental & Land Use Law Report, Vol. 2013, No. 5