- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
- B.S., with honors, Northwestern University
- Editor-in-Chief, Law and Policy in International Business
Bar & Court Admissions
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
Timothy C. BrightbillPARTNER
Mr. Brightbill represents clients on all aspects of international trade law and policy including import trade remedies (such as antidumping law, countervailing duty law, and safeguards investigations), global trade policy and trade negotiations, international arbitration, export controls (compliance and licensing), climate change policy, customs matters, and international e-commerce issues. He is rated among the nation’s leading lawyers for business by Chambers USA (2010-2014) which notes that he “is making a name in the trade remedies field” (2011). Clients have said that they are “full of confidence in his handling of high-stakes matters” and that he “gave good counsel, and was extremely responsive and precise” (2013). Sources also cite Mr. Brightbill’s “thorough and detailed” quality of work and “adept handling of trade disputes” (2014).
- Lead counsel to SolarWorld Industries America Inc. and the Coalition for American Solar Manufacturing, which in November 2012 won the largest U.S. trade remedy cases ever filed against China and the first cases involving renewable energy products.
- Represents numerous U.S. industries in trade litigation and trade policy matters, including steel and steel products, solar cells and modules, lined paper school supplies, heavy forged hand tools, and steel scrap.
- Represents numerous clients before the U.S. Department of Commerce (DOC) and the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), and in more than 30 oral arguments at the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Regularly advises and represents clients before Congress and the Executive Branch on potential changes to U.S. trade laws, trade remedies, and ongoing trade negotiations, including World Trade Organization (WTO), U.S. Free Trade Agreements (FTA), and Bilateral Investment Treaties (BIT).
- As a member of the Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Services and Finance Industries, advises service industries and provides the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR) and the U.S. government with industry advice on WTO, FTA, and BIT negotiations with major U.S. trading partners.
- Represented U.S. industry coalition supporting the USTR in its successful WTO challenge of China's raw material export restrictions.
- Edited "Trade Remedies for Global Companies," an American Bar Association book on U.S. and foreign trade remedies, and authored a chapter on antidumping law and countervailing duty law petitions.
- Represented a coalition of domestic producers in the most comprehensive trade safeguards investigation in U.S. history, culminating in a successful remedy proclamation by the President.
- Vice-Chair (2013) and Member (2007-Present), Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Services and Finance Industries.
- Adjunct Professor, International Trade Law and Regulation, Georgetown University Law Center (2002-Present).
- Faculty Member, Georgetown Law Academy of WTO Law and Policy (2006-Present).
- Legislative and Legal Counsel, U.S. Representative John J. LaFalce, Chair of the House Committee on Small Business (1994-1995).
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of International Law.
- Senior Advisor, International Trade Committee (2011-Present).
- ABA Liaison to ITAC 10 (2007-Present).
- Division Chair and Council Member (2005-2007).
- Deputy to Section Chair (2004-2005).
- Chair, International Trade Committee (2002-2004).
- Federal Circuit Bar Association (FCBA).
- Vice-Chair, International Trade Committee.
- Executive Leadership Committee, Lawyers Have Heart (2010-Present).
- Site Coordinator and Volunteer, Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless (1996-Present).
- Georgetown Journal of International Law, Alumni Advisory Board.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Named by Law360 as an International Trade MVP (2014).
- Listed by Chambers Global as one of the "Leaders in Their Field" for his work in Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2012-2014).
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in International Trade: Trade Remedies & Trade Policy (2012-2014) and "America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Up and Coming" (2010-2011).
- Included in Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading International Trade and Shipping Lawyers (2008-Present).
- Included in the International Who's Who of Trade & Customs Lawyers (2010-2012).
- Named one of DC's "Top 100 Lawyers" (2014) and "Super Lawyers" for International (2013-2014) by Super Lawyers magazine.
- Named by The Legal 500 US as a "recommended lawyer" in International Trade (2013-2014).
PUBLICATIONSCURRENT | CHOOSE YEAR | VIEW ALL
- New Dumping Case Filed Against Silicomanganese Imports from Australia
Alan H. Price, Timothy C. Brightbill and Tessa Capeloto
February 20, 2015
- Negotiations Continue on Tariff Reductions for Environmental Goods; Midterm Elections Should Benefit Trade Agenda
Timothy C. Brightbill, Maureen E. Thorson and John A. Hodges
February 2015 | Product Stewardship & Sustainability Report
- Part 1: U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission Annual Report Analysis
Timothy C. Brightbill
November 24, 2014 | American Trade & Manufacturing Blog
- WTO Dispute Resolution – Twenty Years Old, and an “Unprecedented Increase” in Disputes
Timothy C. Brightbill
September 3, 2014 | American Trade & Manufacturing Blog
- United States Identifies More Than 150 Chinese State Trading Enterprises after China’s Failure to Notify
Timothy C. Brightbill and Adam M. Teslik
August 25, 2014
- USTR, ITC Begin Investigations, Request Comments on Trade in Environmental Goods
Timothy C. Brightbill and Maureen E. Thorson
April 24, 2014
- USTR Emphasizes Market Access and Enforcement in Delivering President Obama’s 2014 Trade Policy Agenda
Timothy C. Brightbill, Nova J. Daly and Adam M. Teslik
March 6, 2014