In the Community
Wiley Rein prides itself on a strong connection to the local community in which our staff and attorneys live and work. Wiley Rein staff and attorneys assist the local community in a number of ways, including annual fundraisers, and other community service events. In 2017, the firm made more than $1.1 million in charitable donations to local causes.
Our associates support the Legal Aid Society "Generous Associates" campaign, and our entire firm participates in a blood drive to benefit the American Red Cross in memory of Wiley Rein partner Karen Kincaid.
In addition, Wiley Rein attorneys regularly participate by running and walking to raise funds for several yearly races or walks including:
- Lawyers Have Heart for the American Heart Association
- AIDS Walk Washington for the Whitman-Walker Clinic
The firm’s recent charitable initiatives provided much-needed assistance to a wide range of organizations including:
- Whitman-Walker Health. The firm was a Marathon-level sponsor of the 2014 Going the Extra Mile event and Managing Partner Peter Shields served as co-chair of the gala. The firm was also a Gold Partner sponsor of the Annual Walk to End HIV, which benefits Whitman-Walker’s legal services programs for individuals with HIV/AIDS. Wiley Rein participated in the 5K walk and raised more than $6,000 in donations.
- Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia. Wiley Rein was among the Top Fundraising Firms this year for the Legal Aid Society’s Generous Associates Campaign. Through initiatives such as a guest bartending competition, the firm raised more than $43,000 to help the organization provide free legal services to the neediest members of the DC community.
- The ALS Association. The firm took part in the ALS “Ice Bucket Challenge” in August, by donating and spreading awareness. Many members of the firm have a personal connection to the cause. We are proud to have played a role in keeping the movement going—and supporting both awareness and fundraising efforts for this very important association.
- The American Heart Association. The firm had its biggest turnout ever for the 2014 Lawyers Have Heart 10K Race, 5K Run & Walk. The 2014 Wiley Rein Road Runners included 46 attorneys, staff, family members, and friends. The firm donated over $25,000 to AHA.
- Bread for the City. As part of its 15th annual Thanksgiving Basket Drive, the firm raised more than $7,500 and assembled nearly 30 baskets of food. The program provided about 250 low-income DC families with healthful holiday meals this year.
- Children’s Law Center. The firm’s Fourth Annual March Madness Charity Bracket Challenge raised more than $10,840 for the Children’s Law Center and the Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs.
- The District of Columbia Bar Foundation. Wiley Rein participated in the Sixth Annual “Go Casual for Justice” event, hosting a “jeans day” fundraiser for legal services, grants, training, and lawyer loan repayment assistance programs benefiting DC’s legal aid providers.
- Gifts for the Homeless, Inc. Wiley Rein’s Charity Clothing Drive provided coats, gloves, clothes, shoes, household items, and cash donations to help make the holidays a little warmer for needy families in Washington, DC.
- Washington Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs. The firm was among the top sponsors of the Committee’s 2014 Wiley A. Branton Awards Luncheon.
* * *