- Special Counsel
Comment Deadlines Established in AM Revitalization Proceeding
The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC or Commission) Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) seeking comment on a number of proposals designed to afford relief to AM broadcasters and to revitalize the AM radio band has now been published in the Federal Register, triggering comment deadlines. Comments are due January 21, 2014 and Reply Comments are due February 18, 2014.
The NPRM asks for comment on six specific proposals, namely:
- Opening an FM translator filing window exclusively for AM licensees and permittees;
- Modifying the daytime community coverage standards for existing AM stations;
- Modifying the nighttime community coverage standards for existing AM stations;
- Eliminating the AM "ratchet rule";
- Permitting wider implementation of modulation dependent carrier level (MDCL) control technologies; and
- Modifying AM antenna efficiency standards.
In addition, the Commission is asking for suggestions for other proposals aimed at promoting the long-term viability of AM radio. More information is available here.