- Media Mentions
- Press Releases
- Blog Posts
- State Lobbying & Gift Law Guide
Wiley Rein Launches Smartphone App on Federal Gift Rules
Wiley Rein LLP today announced the launch of its first-ever smartphone app – an interactive guide to federal gift rules, developed by the firm’s prominent Election Law & Government Ethics Practice.
The Wiley Rein: Federal Gift Rules app, publicly available in the Apple App Store and on Google Play, is an ideal resource for federal lobbyists, organizations that employ or retain federal lobbyists, and others who must comply with congressional and Executive branch gift rules, limitations, and exceptions. The app serves as a pocket guide to the rules and includes an interactive assessment to test users’ knowledge. It also features a podcast in which Wiley Rein attorneys explore a variety of election law and government ethics issues, including an episode on federal gift rules.
“We are very excited to offer this app, just in time for the 2020 Presidential election, as an indispensable tool for navigating this very complex area of the law,” said Michael E. Toner, chair of Wiley Rein’s Election Law & Government Ethics Practice. “Drawing on our team’s deep experience, it puts key information at one’s fingertips regarding federal gift rules.”
Members of Congress, congressional staff, and Executive branch employees and political appointees are subject to these rules, which outline the types of gifts that are permissible or prohibited from outside sources.
“The laws and regulations governing gifts to federal elected officials and employees are highly nuanced,” said Wiley Rein Election Law partner D. Mark Renaud, who has led the firm’s development and oversight of the app. “We designed this user-friendly app to help Members of Congress, staffers, and lobbyists comply with the rules and avoid the types of errors that can lead to penalties.”
In addition to the newly released app, the Election Law & Government Ethics Practice offers a variety of online products including:
- Election Law News: Bimonthly newsletter publishing developments in all aspects of political law and election law, including ethics rules, the regulation of lobbyists, campaign finance provisions, pay-to-play laws, and the taxation of political activities and actors.
- State Lobbying & Gift Law Guide: A comprehensive summary of lobbying, gift, and relevant ethics laws in all 50 states plus the District of Columbia.
- State and Municipal Pay-to-Play Survey: A summary of the pay-to-play laws in states and major municipalities, as well as the pay-to-play policies that many public agencies have adopted on their own, making it an essential resource for prospective and current government contractors.
- Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) Handbook: Prepared by members of Wiley Rein’s International Trade Practice, the FARA Handbook reviews the laws and regulations that govern whether an entity should register with the FARA Registration Unit of the U.S. Department of Justice, the registration process, the obligations of registered agents, and the penalties that may be imposed for FARA violations.
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Handbook: Prepared by members of the firm’s White Collar Defense & Government Investigations Practice, this handbook reviews the main provisions of the FCPA, outlining issues and factors likely to signal FCPA-sensitive situations and summarizing recent developments that have returned international bribery and corruption to the political spotlight.
Wiley Rein has the premier Election Law & Government Ethics Practice in the country, recognized by Chambers USA as “the gold standard in this business.” The Practice regularly provides sophisticated counsel on all aspects of political law, including federal, state, and local regulation of campaign finance, lobbying, and government ethics.