Senior Communications Manager
Jan Baran to Co-Chair PLI Seminar on Corporate Political Activities September 7-8; Caleb Burns to Speak on Aspects of Campaign Finance Law
Washington, DC—Jan Witold Baran, co-chair of the firm’s Election Law & Government Ethics Practice, will co-chair a September 7-8 seminar organized by the Practising Law Institute (PLI) on “Corporate Political Activities 2017: Complying with Campaign Finance, Lobbying, and Ethics Laws.”
In addition, Election Law partner Caleb P. Burns will speak on a panel about “Foreign Nationals; Independent Expenditure Financing” on September 7. The two-day seminar will be held at the Four Seasons Hotel in Washington. Mr. Baran has co-chaired the annual event and Mr. Burns has been a featured speaker for the past several years.
On September 7, Mr. Baran will speak on “FECA and Political Committees” and “Federal Ethics Rules,” and will moderate a Q&A with Federal Election Commission (FEC) Vice Chair Caroline C. Hunter prior to the featured luncheon presenter, Brody Mullins of The Wall Street Journal. On September 8, Mr. Baran will speak on “Criminal and Civil Enforcement of Election and Ethics Laws.”
The prominent program will also feature high-level officials from the U.S. Department of Justice, congressional ethics committees, and state ethics agencies, as well as corporate compliance officers and expert private practitioners.
Subjects to be discussed during the two-day seminar include:
- Election-related issues
- Recent cases affecting corporate political activities, including McCutcheon v. FEC
- The rules for corporate, union, association and non-connected federal and state PACs
- 527 organizations, Super PACs, and campaigning on the Internet
- 501(c)4s: IRS proposals on nonprofits
- FEC and key state ethics agency rulemakings and litigation
- Federal and state pay-to-play laws
- Federal and state lobbying rules, including recent changes
- Federal and state gift rules
- The Foreign Agents Registration Act
- Elements of an effective corporate compliance program
- Recent civil and criminal enforcement cases, policies and sentencing guidelines
Attendees will include attorneys and others representing political contributors, PACs, lobbyists, corporations, trade and membership associations, unions, and other political interest groups and activists.
PLI offers discounts for groups of 4-14 from the same organization, all registering at the same time. For further discount information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 260-4PLI. Wiley Rein clients receive a special 20% discount for the seminar.
Wiley Rein has one of the premier election law practices in the country, recognized by Chambers USA as “the gold standard in this business.” Led by Mr. Baran and former FEC Chairman Michael E. Toner, the Group represents more than 300 U.S. and foreign corporations and trade associations, as well as individuals, elected officials, campaign committees, political party committees, and other political organizations.
To register for the PLI seminar, please click here.