Senior Communications Manager
Wiley Rein’s David A. Gross Moderates IIC’s Annual Telecom & Media Forum
Washington, DC—Ambassador David A. Gross, co-chair of Wiley Rein’s Telecom, Media & Technology (TMT) Practice, will lead two important panel discussions today during the International Institute of Communications (IIC) annual Telecommunications and Media Forum at the Washington offices of Verizon Communications. For more information about the two-day Forum or to register, click here.
The 2017 Forum – “Digital Transformation - How Do We Enable an Open, Safe and Secure Space for Future Global Communication?” – will bring together leaders of technology and communications businesses and regulatory agencies to discuss the policy and regulatory roadmaps for the Americas and the rest of the world.
The keynote speakers at the forum include Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman Ajit Pai and FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr, along with Terrell McSweeny, Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission; David J. Redl, Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information, National Telecommunications and Information Administration; Robert L. Strayer, Deputy Assistant Secretary for Cyber and International Communications and Information Policy, U.S. Department of State; Grace Koh, Special Assistant to the President for Technology, Telecoms and Cybersecurity, National Economic Council; and Thomas M. Dailey, Senior Vice President and General Counsel, Verizon International. The themes for discussion throughout the forum are data privacy and security, global policy and regulation, and connectivity.
Today, Amb. Gross will moderate a two-part panel discussion, “Global Policy & Regulatory Environment.” The panel’s two sessions, in the morning and afternoon, are as follows:
PANEL ONE: GLOBAL POLICY & REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT – COUNTRY/REGIONAL UPDATES – 11:15 a.m.
Topics addressed are:
- Regional regulatory snapshot – objectives and priorities for regulators and policymakers as they adapt to the pace of convergence and digital transformation
- Notable outcomes from, and preparations for, key global stakeholder meetings this year and next
- Evolving roles of inter-governmental agencies in telecom/Internet/content regulation and policy
- Leonardo Euler de Morais, Commissioner, Anatel, Brazil
- Rajan S. Mathews, Director General, Cellular Operators Association of India
- Botlenyana Mokhele, Councillor, ICASA, South Africa
- Elena Scaramuzzi, Head of Americas Telecoms, Media And Digital Economy, Cullen International
PANEL ONE (CONTINUED): GLOBAL POLICY & REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT – INDUSTRY/CIVIL SOCIETY INSIGHTS – 2:00 p.m.
- Boutheina Guermazi, Practice Manager, Information and Communication Technologies, The World Bank
- Paul Mitchell, Senior Director, Technology Policy, Microsoft Corporation
- Alice Munyua, Founder, Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet)
- Brett Solomon, Executive Director, Access Now
- Robert Pepper, Head, Global Connectivity Policy and Planning, Facebook
The IIC’s events, meetings, and articles coalesce around six global themes addressing trends in innovation and investment, governance, content, competition, privacy and spectrum. These themes are reflected in the organization’s programs and activities.
For more information about the Forum or to register, click here.