- Blockchain Technology
- Communications Enforcement & Compliance
- Digital Trade
- International & Internet
- Internet of Things
- Pole Attachment and Infrastructure Deployment Litigation and Counseling
- Space and Satellite
- Telephony & Information Technology
- The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)
Innovations in financial technology (fintech) are enabling faster, cheaper, and more efficient access to financial products and services. Companies across the economy – from established technology companies and financial institutions to startups – are investing in new technologies around payments, lending, data analytics, personal financial management, AI, and blockchain. Innovations in fintech will soon intersect with the increasingly expanding Internet of Things (IoT) and connected cars to grow the ease and reach of financial services.
Wiley Rein’s team of attorneys is well-equipped to handle regulatory, transactional, and litigation matters that arise in connection with fintech innovation. We understand both the technology side and the financial side of the legal issues facing fintech innovators. Our team members include a former Assistant Director in Financial Practices at the Federal Trade Commission, a deep bench of experts in privacy, cybersecurity, and data governance, and attorneys who represent clients in matters across the scope of the federal government.
Our expertise includes:
- Financial regulation. We have extensive experience in the application of consumer financial laws and regulations, including the Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), and related regulations.
We also regularly advise on Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering requirements.
- Privacy, security, and data governance issues. We advise clients on a wide range of federal, state, and international privacy and cybersecurity laws and regulations, including the California Consumer Privacy Act, California’s new IoT cybersecurity law, and the New York Department of Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulations. We help our clients develop comprehensive strategies for collecting, managing, and securing consumer data in accordance with prevailing law and shifting expectations around data privacy and security.
- Handling complex transactions. Our group has unparalleled transactional experience, representing clients–most of them top brands in their specific industry space–with complex transactions involving large- and small-scale mergers and acquisitions, asset and stock sales, strategic alliances and collaborations, services arrangements, restructurings, and leveraged buyouts.
- Cutting-edge regulatory issues involving new technologies like IoT, AI, and blockchain. We advise clients on legal requirements and regulatory expectations for developing technologies that lack a comprehensive regulatory framework. Our team has substantial expertise in dealing with issues surrounding IoT, blockchain, and AI in particular, each of which is playing an important role in the growth of fintech.
- Expansive regulatory engagement. We regularly practice before a wide range of agencies whose work directly affects fintech innovation. On the federal level, we have extensive experience with the FTC, CFPB, NIST, NTIA, FCC, and SEC, for example. We also advise clients on state-level developments and work with local partners that can handle legal and policy matters across all 50 states.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- December 3, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONRoll Call
- November 26, 2019 | BLOG POSTFDIC and OCC Propose Rules to Resolve Madden-ing Uncertainty Surrounding the Fintech-Bank Partnership ModelWiley Connect
- March 28, 2019 | Washington, DC | EVENTABA Section of Antitrust Law
- March 22, 2019 | BLOG POSTWiley Connect
- March 19, 2019 | EVENTWiley Rein Webinars
- March 2019 | NEWSLETTER
- February 2019 | NEWSLETTER
- February 6, 2019 | BLOG POSTWileyConnect
- February 5, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONLaw360
- January 14, 2019 | Washington, DC | EVENTBlockchainge DC
- January 7, 2019 | PODCASTWiley Connected
- December 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- November 28, 2018 | BLOG POSTWileyConnect
- October 21, 2018 | Las Vegas, NV | EVENTMoney20/20
- March 9, 2017 | Berkeley, CA | EVENTFederal Trade Commission
- March 3, 2017 | Tucson, AZ | EVENTMoney Money Money Money - In Today’s World: Insurance Implications for the Evolving FinTech IndustryABA's 29th Annual Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar
- October 26, 2016 | Washington, DC | EVENTFederal Trade Commission
- August 3, 2016 | BLOG POSTFederal Trade Commission
- June 9, 2016 | Washington, DC | EVENTFederal Trade Commission