Wiley Rein's Tax Practice provides full spectrum tax representation and counseling to a diverse client base. We advise national and multi-national organizations, public and private corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and individual entrepreneurs on a broad array of federal and state tax matters. Our Tax attorneys provide counseling and advise on: transactional tax; aviation tax; election law tax; telecommunications tax; tax-exempt organizations; tax audits, appeals and litigation; and state and local taxation.
Wiley Rein’s Tax Practice works closely with our Corporate Practice in structuring transactions and developing tax strategies to fit our clients’ needs. Our attorneys provide tax counsel at all phases of a business cycle, from startup enterprises to mature industries, devise strategies to minimize the incidence of tax on a variety of ongoing business operations, and advise individual clients on the tax aspects of their acquisition, ownership, and disposition of both passive investments and active business interests. Wiley Rein’s attorneys plan and implement tax strategies for corporate mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings, asset transfers, like-kind exchanges, joint ventures, and debt and equity financings. We also assist clients with matters involving the taxation of corporations and shareholders, partnerships and partners, limited liability companies and their members, S corporations, and other business entities.
Election Law Tax
With one of the nation's premier Election Law & Government Ethics Practices, Wiley Rein counsels on the federal tax laws relating to elections, lobbying and political activity for trade associations, political and social welfare organizations, lobbying groups, public charities, private foundations, educational organizations, and their directors, officers, and fiduciaries. Wiley Rein attorneys assist in the formation and operation of Section 527 and Sections 501(c)(3), (4) and (6) tax-exempt organizations. We also advise our exempt organization clients on Form 990 reporting, donor notifications and exempt function political activities.
As the most comprehensive Telecom, Media & Technology Practice in the country, we provide a full range of tax and transactional services to the communications industry in areas that include satellite, personal communications, cable television, cellular and local telephone, and public radio and television. Our attorneys advise on telecommunication taxes, the Universal Service Fund (USF), 911 and E911 matters, sales taxes, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) tax laws, ecommerce taxes, and Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) audits. We also counsel clients on hidden costs, surcharges, and other fees and assessments related to telecommunication taxes.
Wiley Rein represents and advises tax-exempt organizations, such as trade associations, political organizations, public charities, and issue advocacy groups on corporate and tax matters, including applications for tax-exempt status, unrelated business income tax matters, lobbying and political activities, excise taxes, mergers, and transactions with taxable organizations. In addition, Wiley Rein provides tax advice to tax-exempt organizations and their officers, directors, and managers with respect to private inurement and excess benefit transactions, deferred compensation, nonqualified employee benefits, and similar matters.
Tax Audits, Appeals, and Litigation
Wiley Rein’s attorneys represent clients in federal and state tax disputes from audit, through administrative appeal, and into court and settlement, on matters including federal and state income taxes, sales and use taxes, excise taxes, franchise taxes, property taxes, responsible person trust fund taxes, liens, levies, and penalty abatement.
State and Local Taxation
Wiley Rein provides planning and compliance counseling on state and local taxes and represents clients in disputes with state and local taxing authorities. Our attorneys advise on state and local tax matters including income taxes, sales and use taxes, property taxes, ecommerce taxes, telecommunication taxes, franchise taxes, unclaimed property taxes, and tax matters relating to the sale, purchase, ownership, and leasing of aircraft.
News & Insights
News & Insights
- June 5, 2018 | Chicago, IL | EventTaxation on Real Estate Conference
- April 30, 2018 | Media MentionWiley Rein Tax Lawyer Michael Grace Comments on Updating Partnership Agreements for New Tax Auditing RulesBloomberg BNA’s Daily Tax Report
- February 14, 2018 | Media MentionWolters Kluwer’s Federal Tax Weekly, Standard Federal Tax Reports
- January 2, 2018 | Media MentionWiley Rein Tax Lawyer Michael Grace Raises Concerns That Final IRS Regulations Do Not Respect Disregarded Entities Under New Partnership Audit RulesLaw360
- September 12, 2017 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Daily Report for Executives
- June 22, 2017 | Media MentionWolters Kluwer’s Federal Tax Weekly
- June 8, 2017 | Chicago, IL | EventIllinois CPA Society: Taxation on Real Estate Conference
- January 25, 2017 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Daily Tax Report
- January 19, 2017 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA's Daily Tax Report
- September 19, 2016 | ArticleNew Partnership Auditing Procedures: Practical Responses and Drafting Strategies57 Tax Management Memorandum (Bloomberg BNA)
- March 3, 2016 | Press Release
- July/August 2012 | ArticleAircraft Tax Audits—A Game of TomesThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 20, No. 7
- February 3, 2012 | Alert
- September 14, 2009 | Press Release
- March 2, 2009 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief on Behalf of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States of America
- December 31, 2008 | Press Release
- December 31, 2007 | Press Release
- April 10, 2006 | Press ReleaseU.S. Department of Commerce Finds Dumping, Imposes Antidumping Duty Margins on Imports of Lined Paper Products from China, India and Indonesia
- May 14, 2004 | Press Release
- December 19, 2003 | Press Release