J.D., magna cum laude, Wake Forest University School of Law; Order of the Coif
B.A., with distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Law Clerk for the Honorable Robert L. Wilkins, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (2016-2017)
Law Clerk for the Honorable Lena M. James, U.S. Bankruptcy Court (2014)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
North Carolina Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, Ninth, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
Certified Information Privacy Professional
As a complex litigation and regulatory compliance attorney, Bethany represents telecommunications, technology, health care, and financial organizations in judicial and administrative proceedings. She provides strategic advice to telecommunications carriers in a variety of fields, including wireless, spectrum, telephony, and information technology. A Certified Information Privacy Professional through the International Association of Privacy Professionals, Bethany offers legal counsel on privacy, cybersecurity, data protection, and health care compliance. Bethany has a unique litigation background that includes two federal clerkships, experience in financial services, and mastery of complicated bankruptcy principles. She offers clients a holistic approach to their legal needs, and can seamlessly transition between litigation and contractual drafting. Bethany is particularly interested in the intersection of health care and data technology, and is completing an LL.M. focused on health care regulatory compliance, privacy, telemedicine, and the Internet of Medical Things.
- Counsels telecommunications, technology, and wireless clients on universal service, privacy, cybersecurity, and regulatory compliance.
- Extensive motions practice in federal and state court, including pre-trial, trial, and appellate briefs, motions, and pleadings for complex administrative and civil proceedings.
- Analyzes and offers strategic advice on complicated questions of administrative and federal law involving known regulatory bodies, including the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
- Advises health care organizations on privacy, research, and general compliance. Evaluated first-tier entity’s compliance with sponsor attestation requirements under the Medicare Managed Care Program.
- Drafts comments, petitions, and pleadings in FCC proceedings.
- Analyzed statutory interpretation of FAA registration requirements for unmanned model aircraft.
- Represents national lending institutions in commercial litigation, foreclosure proceedings, Truth-in-Lending Act lawsuits, mortgage appeals, and real estate settlements.
- Defends corporate officers in fiduciary duty liability actions.
- Develops creative regulatory strategies for banking institutions, focusing on compliance with financial and consumer regulations created by the CFPB.
- Maintains an active pro bono practice. Bethany regularly represents domestic violence victims seeking temporary restraining orders, and received the Commitment to Justice Award (2015) from Safe Alliance for her work on these cases.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law (2016)
- Private Law Practice (2014-2016)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Young Lawyer Representative to the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy General Committee of the Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section (2018-2019)
- Young Lawyer Representative to the Outreach to Young Lawyers Standing Committee of the Tort, Trial, and Insurance Practice Section (2018-2019)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Mecklenburg County Bar Association
- Communications Committee (2018-2020)
- Young Lawyers' Division Social Committee (2014-2015)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- North Carolina Bar Association (NCBA)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Health Care Compliance Association
- Pro Bono Volunteer and Committee Member, Safe Alliance (2014-2016)
- Communications Committee Co-Chair, Charlotte Women Attorneys (2014-2015)
News & Insights
- August 2, 2018 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief in ‘Peace Cross’ Case, Advocating the Memorial Does Not Violate the Establishment Clause
- August 2018 | ArticleDigital Health LegalBethany A. Corbin
- June 2018 | ArticleCompliance TodayBethany A. Corbin
- April 2018 | ArticleCompliance TodayBethany A. Corbin
- April 2018 | Newsletter
- March 28, 2018 | Press ReleaseHHS Office for Civil Rights Director Roger Severino Leads Discussion on Health Care Regulation and Cybersecurity at Wiley Rein LLP
- March 2, 2018 | ArticleAlliance of Advanced BioMedical EngineeringMegan L. Brown, Bethany A. Corbin
- January 31, 2018 | Press Release
- December 14, 2017 | ArticleCircleIDMegan L. Brown, Bethany A. Corbin
- October 23, 2015 | ArticleShould I Stay or Should I Go?: The Future of Disparate Impact Liability under the Fair Housing Act and Implications for the Financial Services IndustryPenn State Law ReviewBethany A. Corbin
- May 23, 2015 | ArticleFair Lending Law Litigation and Compliance: An Uncertain Future for the Financial Services IndustryMortgage Compliance MagazineBethany A. Corbin, Co-Author