J.D., The Delaware Law School; Widener University
B.A., University of Delaware
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Chris represents clients in connection with all aspects of trademark enforcement, procurement, and management, including trademark and unfair competition litigation in the federal courts and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, cybersquatting and Internet domain name disputes and litigation, including proceedings under the Uniform Dispute Resolution Procedure (UDRP), domestic and international trademark clearance and prosecution, licensing and client counseling. Chris is a frequent speaker at INTA and ABA events, speaking on critical issues for U.S. and foreign mark-holders.
- Assists clients with all aspects of domestic and international trademark portfolio management, including clearance, prosecution and maintenance, counseling, licensing and transactional matters, and trademark enforcement and litigation.
- Advises clients on various Internet issues, including domain name disputes and copyright matters.
- Represents industries including restaurant chains, media and communications conglomerates, Internet and insurance firms, and textile and food manufacturers.
- Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Trademark Examining Operations (1990-1994)
- District of Columbia Bar, Intellectual Property Law Section
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Trademark Public Advisory Committee (TPAC), United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) (2018-2021)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Intellectual Property: Trademark, Copyright & Trade Secrets (2014-2016)
News & Insights
- December 13, 2017 | Press Release
- December 16, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Supreme Court Amicus Brief in Lee v. Tam on Behalf of Rutherford Institute and Consumers’ Research
- May 27, 2016 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- December 22, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Helps Secure First Amendment Win Striking Down Ban on Registering ‘Disparaging’ Trademarks
- November 6, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief in First Amendment Trademark Case, Pro-Football, Inc. v. Amanda Blackhorse
- June 22, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief Testing the Constitutionality of the Lanham Act’s Bar on “Disparaging” Trademarks
- May 19, 2015 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- January 22, 2015 | AlertChristopher Kelly
- June 18, 2014 | AlertChristopher Kelly
- June 16, 2014 | Newsletter
- June 13, 2014 | AlertChristopher Kelly
- May 23, 2014 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 34 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 15 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- May 5, 2012 | Speaking EngagementConsumer Products – Don’t Mess With Our Family (Of Marks)!International Trademark Association 2012 Annual MeetingChristopher Kelly
- December 31, 2001 | Press Release