J.D., University of Michigan Law School
B.A., University of Michigan
Executive Editor, University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Dan advises U.S. and multinational companies on a variety of telecommunications, economic sanctions, export controls, and national security issues. He frequently represents clients before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and the U.S. Departments of Treasury, State, Commerce, and Defense.
- Represents satellite industry clients and other regulated telecommunications companies in complex regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters before the FCC.
- Advises on a wide range of telecommunications issues, including satellite and earth station licensing, access to spectrum, assignments and transfers of control, foreign ownership, orbital debris mitigation, and federal reporting requirements.
- Assists multinational companies and financial institutions in complying with U.S. sanctions programs administered by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), including the preparation of specific license applications, unblocking applications, and voluntary disclosures.
- Advises on U.S. export controls administered by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and the State Department’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC).
- Represents domestic and international companies in national security reviews before the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Team Telecom.
- Conducts internal investigations for Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), FCC, and FTC-related matters and represents clients in enforcement proceedings.
- Advises telecommunications and technology companies on compliance with the Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) and federal and state wiretapping laws.
- Assists companies in complying with regulatory obligations under the FTC Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Telemarketing and Consumer Fraud and Abuse Protection Act, the CAN-SPAM Act, and the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
- Advises service providers regarding Universal Service Fund (USF) contribution requirements.
- Law Clerk, Advocates for Basic Legal Equality (2007)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia (BADC)
News & Insights
- November 19, 2018 | AlertCommerce Solicits Comments on Emerging Technologies—Impacts for Export Controls and Mandatory CFIUS Reporting
- November 15, 2018 | Alert
- November 13, 2018 | Alert
- October 30, 2018 | Press Release
- September 2018 | Newsletter
- August 13, 2018 | Alert
- August 9, 2018 | Alert
- August 1, 2018 | Alert
- July 24, 2018 | Alert
- July 13, 2018 | Alert
- June 27, 2018 | Alert
- June 27, 2018 | Alert
- June 8, 2018 | Alert
- June 4, 2018 | ArticleLaw360
- January 24, 2018 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Represents Puerto Rico Telephone Company in FCC Petition for Emergency Universal Service Support
- November 9, 2017 | Press Release
- November 8, 2017 | AlertNew Legislation Would Expand CFIUS Mandate, Subject Chinese Investments to Greater Scrutiny, and Could Impact Joint Ventures Abroad
- October 16, 2017 | Alert
- September 21, 2017 | Alert
- April 24, 2017 | Alert
- March 30, 2017 | AlertJohn R. Shane, Daniel P. Brooks
- March 8, 2017 | Alert
- February 14, 2017 | Alert
- February 10, 2017 | Media MentionLaw360 Covers Lawsuit Filed on Behalf of Wiley Rein Clients American Bankers Association and Washington Federal BankLaw360
- December 2016 | ArticleInternational TradeABA Section of Litigation Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts 4th Edition
- December 12, 2016 | AlertDaniel P. Brooks, Anna M. Gomez
- November 21, 2016 | Alert
- November 4, 2016 | Alert
- September 22, 2016 | Alert
- September 16, 2016 | Alert
- August 11, 2016 | Alert
- May 2, 2016 | AlertDOJ Compliance Counsel, VimpelCom Resolution, and FCPA Pilot Program Highlight Opportunities Presented for Telecom Industry by Robust Compliance, Self-disclosure, and Cooperation in Foreign Bribery Cases
- March 18, 2016 | ArticleThe U.S. Government Takes Steps to Further Normalize Relations with Cuba in Advance of President Obama’s Visit
- March 10, 2016 | Article
- March 3, 2016 | AlertDaniel P. Brooks
- February 29, 2016 | Article
- January 19, 2016 | Alert
- November 13, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Obtains Ninth Circuit Victory for Pro Bono Client in Case Involving Federal Quiet Title Act
- July/August 2013 | ArticleProposed Rural Call Completion Rules Would Impose New Reporting and Data Retention Obligations on VoIP Service ProvidersInternet TelephonyDaniel P. Brooks
- May 2012 | ArticleLoosening Satellite Export ControlsLaw360Daniel P. Brooks
- January 2012 | ArticleKey Details of CFIUS 2010 Annual ReportThe Deal PipelineDaniel P. Brooks