J.D., cum laude, Howard University School of Law
M.P.A., Louisiana State University
B.A., Louisiana State University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Derrick represents clients in a variety of areas including telecommunications litigation and regulatory proceedings; government and internal investigations; discovery requests; and immigrant rights.
- Represents satellite industry clients and other regulated telecommunications companies in complex regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Counsels clients through the Section 214 Discontinuance Process.
- Represents clients involved in complex commercial arbitrations.
- Researches and drafts comments and other written submissions for clients in proceedings before the FCC.
- Regularly updates clients on federal and state Broadband Deployment efforts.
- Counsels clients regarding compliance with FCC Equal Employment Opportunity programs.
- Conducts regulatory due diligence and risk assessments for communications transactions.
- Counsels charitable and educational organizations through the incorporation process and in obtaining federal and state tax-exempt recognition.
- Researched and drafted memoranda regarding state lobbying and gift laws.
- Represents pro bono client in connection with a habeas corpus request based on immigration detention.
- Counsels clients on the implications of recent U.S. Supreme Court jurisprudence on the seal requirement under the False Claims Act.
- Assists clients in responding to subpoenas and civil investigative demands.
- Led a team in writing an amicus brief in a Fourteenth Amendment case before the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Legal Fellow, Democratic National Committee (2016)
- Research Assistant, Dean Danielle Holley-Walker, Howard University School of Law (2015-2016)
- Student Attorney, Howard University School of Law Civil Rights Clinic (2015-2016)
- Corporate Legal Intern, AT&T Federal Legal Department (2014)
- Legislative Intern, U.S. House of Representatives, Representative Cedric Richmond (2013)
- Master Teacher, Classroom Management, East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools (2012-2013)
- Middle School Social Studies Teacher, East Baton Rouge Parish Public Schools (2008-2013)
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Diverse Associates Network
- Washington Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Co-Chair, Raising the Bar Committee
- The LGBT Bar Association
- Gay Professional Men of Color
- Founder and President
- Greater Washington Urban League, Thursday Network
- Past Chair, Civic Engagement Committee
- Alfred Street Baptist Church, Legal Resources Ministry
- Recipient of the Washington Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division Donald A. Thigpen Rising Star Award (2018)
- Recipient of a Project Briggs Inc. #THEBOLDBRAVE30 Public Service Award (2018)
News & Insights
- January 16, 2018 | Press ReleaseBloomberg Law Profiles Wiley Rein’s Pro Bono Practice and Its Work on Behalf of Immigrants Detained in Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center
- November 7, 2017 | Press Release
- February 14, 2017 | Alert