J.D., summa cum laude, Duke University School of Law; Order of the Coif
M.A., Duke University
B.A., Cornell University
Law Clerk for the Honorable Marjorie O. Rendell, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit (2014-2015)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court Bar
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Ninth Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Florida, Middle District of Florida, Southern District of Florida, and Eastern District of Wisconsin
Douglas represents and advises government contractors, insurers, manufacturers, retailers, and other corporate clients involved in commercial and international litigations and regulatory proceedings. He also counsels clients concerning compliance with state and federal law, including on issues relating to data privacy, employment discrimination and retaliation, and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Litigates breach of contract, misrepresentation, negligence, unjust enrichment, and other commercial torts after business relationships between companies deteriorate.
- Defends clients in consumer class actions from claims of unfair and deceptive acts and practices (UDAP) and fraud.
- Represents companies when current or former employees or job applicants sue for violation of employment laws – including failure to pay overtime pay and violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA) – or file a charge with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
- Represents parties and amici curiae in litigation involving constitutional law claims.
- Filed amicus briefs in Pavan v. Smith (U.S.), Karnoski v. Trump (9th Cir.), and Otto v. City of Boca Raton (S.D. Fla.).
- Private law practice (2013-2014, 2015-2019)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Department of Justice, Appellate Staff of the Civil Division (2012)
News & Insights
- March 19, 2019 | ARTICLEINSIGHT: Cookie Coupons Rile DOJ Sensibilities, Indicating Possible Uptick in Class Action ObjectionsBloomberg Law
- March 13, 2019 | ARTICLEBloomberg LawRichard W. Smith, Douglas C. Dreier