J.D., The George Washington University Law School
B.A., Vanderbilt University
Member, The George Washington International Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Erik’s practice centers on providing effective legal advocacy and policy counsel on environmental regulations and litigation involving chemicals, pesticides, air emissions, and hazardous waste. Erik is the former Deputy Assistant Administrator for Law and Policy in the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention and the former Senior Deputy General Counsel in the Office of General Counsel at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). By having senior leadership experience in both program and legal offices at EPA, Erik possesses unparalleled insight into which arguments are persuasive to key decisionmakers, what offices within EPA have equities in certain rulemakings and adjudications, and how to leverage other federal agencies to achieve success.
Erik employs his expertise in environment and safety issues – including the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), the Clean Air Act (CAA), and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) – to advise clients on regulatory compliance, policy, litigation, and enforcement matters.
While serving in EPA leadership, Erik implemented groundbreaking TSCA rulemakings and policies, reformed EPA’s new chemical review process, directed the agency’s decisions under FIFRA, supervised EPA’s litigation, worked on regulations for greenhouse gas emissions from stationary and mobile sources, advised EPA leadership on biofuels policy, helped craft EPA’s Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) Action Plan, served on the White House’s Endangered Species Act (ESA) Interagency Working Group, and led EPA’s responses to a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee investigation.
Recognized as a leader in environmental law and policy, Erik is frequently asked to speak at conferences, meetings, and programs about recent and upcoming actions under TSCA, FIFRA, ESA, and CAA.
- Advises clients on compliance matters in regard to the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
- Advises clients on EPA’s new chemical review process, TSCA rulemakings, and risk evaluations.
- Assists clients on compliance matters under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in accordance with legal requirements and court orders.
- Provides legal counsel and technical support to clients on EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Program.
- Counsels clients on regulations relating to fuels, motor vehicles, and motor vehicle engines.
- Creates legal strategies on issues related to the oil and natural gas industries.
- Experienced in advising senior Administration officials on regulations for greenhouse gas emissions from stationary and mobile sources.
- Deputy Assistant Administrator for Law and Policy, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention (OCSPP), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (2018-2019)
- Senior Deputy General Counsel, Office of General Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (2017-2018)
- Senior Counsel, The American Petroleum Institute (API) (2011-2017)
- Attorney-Advisor, Office of Enforcement, Division of Investigations, The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) (2009-2011)
- Associate, Private Law Firm (2004-2009)
- Judicial Extern, The Honorable Ricardo M. Urbina, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia (2002-2003)
- Judicial Intern, The Honorable Eric T. Washington, D.C. Court of Appeals (2002)
News & Insights
- December 3, 2019 | ALERTEPA’s Important Public Meeting on New Chemicals Is Next Week Tuesday, December 10; Deadline for Online Requests to Speak at the Meeting Is This Friday, December 6
- December 3, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONBloomberg Environment
- November 20, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONLaw360, Inside EPA
- November 18, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONBloomberg Law, Bloomberg Environment
- November 15, 2019 | BLOG POSTThe WELLErik C. Baptist
- November 15, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONBloomberg Environment
- November 8, 2019 | ALERTErik C. Baptist
- November 8, 2019 | BLOG POSTThe WELLErik C. Baptist
- November 6, 2019 | BLOG POSTThe WELLErik C. Baptist
- November 4, 2019 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTChemical WatchErik C. Baptist, Speaker
- October 31, 2019 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
- October 30, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONErik Baptist Quoted in Coverage of Justice Department Potentially Nixing Environmental Settlements ToolBloomberg Environment
- October 18, 2019 | BLOG POSTThe WELLErik C. Baptist
- October 18, 2019 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTWomen in Government RelationsErik C. Baptist, Moderator
- October 10, 2019 | BLOG POSTThe WELLErik C. Baptist
- October 8, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONInside EPA
- October 8, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Launches Environmental Law Blog Offering Timely Analysis on Key Regulatory, Policy, and Litigation Issues
- October 7, 2019 | BLOG POSTThe WELLErik C. Baptist
- October 1, 2019 | ALERTIndustries Need To Challenge EPA’s Decision To Disregard Statutorily Required Exemptions for Articles and Replacement Parts When Banning or Restricting PBT Chemicals Under TSCA
- September 25, 2019 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
- September 20, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONInside EPA
- September 12, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONE&E News – Energywire
- September 6, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONThe Associated Press
- August 28, 2019 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
- August 12, 2019 | ARTICLELaw360Erik C. Baptist
- July 31, 2019 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTWiley Rein TSCA Webinar Series
- July 22, 2019 | ALERT
- June 26, 2019 | ALERTErik C. Baptist, Martha E. Marrapese
- June 24, 2019 | ALERT
- June 18, 2019 | ALERT
- June 14, 2019 | ALERTPresident Trump Issues Executive Order on Modernizing the Regulatory Framework for U.S. Agricultural Biotechnology ProductsErik C. Baptist, Keith A. Matthews
- June 6, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONThe National Law Journal
- June 5, 2019 | MEDIA MENTIONBloomberg Law
- June 5, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEErik Baptist, Former EPA Deputy Assistant Administrator and Senior Deputy General Counsel, Joins Wiley Rein’s Environment & Product Regulation Practice
- May 21, 2019 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTNew Developments in Pesticide Law and PolicyAmerican Bar Association and CropLife AmericaErik C. Baptist, Keynote Speaker
- March 7, 2019 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTAmerican Chemistry Council's GlobalChem ConferenceErik C. Baptist, Speaker
- September 13, 2018 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTImplementing the Amendments to the Toxics Substances Control Act (TSCA)American Chemical Society, Chief Technology Officer SummitErik C. Baptist, Speaker
- May 8, 2018 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTNew Developments in Pesticide Law and PolicyAmerican Bar Association and CropLife AmericaErik C. Baptist, Keynote Speaker
- October 23, 2015 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTFuels Regulations Under Clean Air Act Section 211Title II: Motor Vehicles, Engines, Aircraft, Fuels, and Renewables, “The Clean Air Act: New Directions in Law, Policy, and Practice,” American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education (ALI CLE)Erik C. Baptist, Speaker
- July 14, 2015 | Washington, DC | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTD.C. BarErik C. Baptist, Speaker