J.D., The George Washington University Law School
B.A., Vanderbilt University
Member, The George Washington International Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Erik’s practice centers on providing effective legal direction and policy counsel on governmental regulations involving chemicals and pesticides. Erik employs his expertise in environment and safety issues – including the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA); the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA); and the Clean Air Act (CAA) – to advise clients on regulatory compliance, policy, litigation, and enforcement matters. Erik is the former Deputy Assistant Administrator for Law and Policy in the Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention and the former Senior Deputy General Counsel in the Office of General Counsel at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), where he reformed EPA’s new chemical review process, directed the agency’s decisions under FIFRA, supervised EPA’s litigation, served on the White House’s Endangered Species Act (ESA) Interagency Working Group, and led EPA’s responses to a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee investigation.
Recognized as a leader in environmental law and policy, Erik is frequently asked to speak at conferences, meetings, and programs about recent and upcoming actions under TSCA, FIFRA, ESA, and CAA.
- Advises clients on compliance matters in regard to the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
- Advises clients on EPA’s new chemical review process, TSCA rulemakings, and risk evaluations.
- Assists clients on compliance matters under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and the Endangered Species Act (ESA) in accordance with legal requirements and court orders.
- Provides legal counsel and technical support to clients on EPA’s Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) Program.
- Counsels clients on regulations relating to fuels, motor vehicles, and motor vehicle engines.
- Creates legal strategies on issues related to the oil and natural gas industries.
- Experienced in advising senior Administration officials on greenhouse gas emission regulations for stationary and mobile sources.
- Deputy Assistant Administrator for Law and Policy, Office of Chemical Safety and Pollution Prevention (OCSPP), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (2018-2019)
- Senior Deputy General Counsel, Office of General Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (2017-2018)
- Senior Counsel, The American Petroleum Institute (API) (2011-2017)
- Attorney-Advisor, Office of Enforcement, Division of Investigations, The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) (2009-2011)
- Associate, Private Law Firm (2004-2009)
News & Insights
- June 18, 2019 | ALERT
- June 14, 2019 | ALERTPresident Trump Issues Executive Order on Modernizing the Regulatory Framework for U.S. Agricultural Biotechnology Products
- June 5, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEErik Baptist, Former EPA Deputy Assistant Administrator and Senior Deputy General Counsel, Joins Wiley Rein’s Environment & Product Regulation Practice