J.D., magna cum laude, University of Miami Law School; Order of the Coif
M.B.A., Florida International University
B.E.E., with high honors, Georgia Institute of Technology
Executive Editor, University of Miami Inter-American Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Eleventh and Federal Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas, District of Columbia, and Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Floyd serves as senior counsel to Wiley Rein LLP. He specializes in patent litigation, patent counseling, and software copyrights. Floyd also represents clients in all areas of intellectual property matters, including, licensing, negotiating, procuring, enforcing, and defending against patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and trade dress rights.
- Assists clients in patent matters involving radio frequency (RF), ultrasound, medical device, telecommunications, electronic mail, digital signal processing, networking, software, database, Internet, and e-commerce technologies.
- Successfully defended large wireless carrier against patent infringement suit brought by Acacia Research subsidiary DNT LLC, who sought more than $200 million from multiple defendants (a jury in the Eastern District of Virginia found no infringement and also found the patent invalid on multiple grounds).
- Successfully litigated cases involving several wireless technologies such as CDMA, LTE, WiFi; wireless applications such as the SMS; navigation systems; communications systems; LEDs; software; and medical devices.
- Member of the trial team that successfully enforced NTP's wireless email patents against Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry devices.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement on behalf of Atico International and Longs Drugs in Central District of California in patent infringement case involving consumer products.
- Won summary judgment of non-infringement on behalf of Target Corporation in Central District of California in patent infringement case involving digital picture frames.
- Won summary judgment of invalidity and non-infringement on behalf of a major brewing company in a patent infringement case involving a business method patent.
- Counsels clients in connection with acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic planning, including assessing IP portfolios, evaluating the strength of competitors' portfolios, benchmarking industries, evaluating title to intellectual property assets, and negotiating licenses.
- Counsels a major medical device company in patent prosecution, due diligence, and other intellectual property matters.
- Senior Test Engineer, Gables Engineering, Inc., developed software and hardware test systems for avionics control panels (1991-1992)
- Senior Test Engineer, Motorola, Inc., designed and developed hardware and software systems for programming and testing microprocessor-controlled radios (1986-1991)
- Co-Operative Student, Georgia Tech Research Institute, developed software for radar-controlled defense systems (1983-1986)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2014-2016)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- November 10, 2017 | Press Release
- December 6, 2016 | Press Release
- June 15, 2016 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementMy Company Has Been Accused of Patent Infringement; What Do I Do Now?Wiley Rein & Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) WebinarFloyd B. Chapman, Speaker, Brian H. Pandya, Speaker
- June 9, 2016 | Press ReleaseFloyd Chapman and Brian Pandya Are Featured Speakers in AUVSI Webinar to Address Patent Infringement in UAS Industry, June 15
- November 18, 2015 | Press Release
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- May 26, 2011 | Media MentionLaw360
- June 1, 2007 | Press Release
- March 16, 2005 | Press Release
- June 22, 2001 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Expands Intellectual Property Practice with Additional Patent Prosecution Expertise