J.D., with highest honors, The George Washington University Law School; Raymond F. Hossfeld Dean's Scholarship
B.A., magna cum laude, University of California, San Diego
Associate, The George Washington University Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Federal Circuits
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Gary counsels and represents government contractors on a range of legal matters. He regularly litigates bids protests, primarily before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) and also before the U.S. Court of Federal Claims (COFC) and on appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (CAFC). Gary has litigated more than 40 protests in the last two years, including technical, high value procurements such as NASA’s Commercial Crew Program and significant precedent setting procurements such as CMS’s Recovery Audit Contractor (RAC) Program. Gary also counsels and represents government contractors on cost allowability matters, contract claims and disputes, compliance programs, and internal investigations. Gary, a certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Litigates bids protests before the GAO, the COFC, and on appeal to the CAFC.
- Advises clients regarding cost allowability issues and compliance with Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), including for example, allocation and adjustment of pension costs, home office expenses, and other indirect costs, in the course of audits by the Defense Contract Audit Agency and other agency Offices of Inspector General, litigation before the Boards of Contract Appeals, and in Bid Protests before GAO.
- Assists clients in preparing, negotiating, and litigating requests for equitable adjustments and certified claims as well as defending against affirmative government claims.
- Advises government contractors in negotiation of teaming and subcontracting agreements and represents clients in prime-subcontractor disputes.
- Conducts internal investigations relating to a range of compliance issues including issues unique to government contractors.
- Counsels clients in the development of government contracts ethics and corporate compliance programs, including programs to prevent or mitigate organizational conflicts of interests (OCIs).
- Conducts due diligence for government contractors to assess risks unique to companies with federal, state, and local contracts and subcontracts.
- Counsels clients in obtaining information and protecting their own proprietary and confidential information under the Freedom of Information Act (Act) and other similar state public records laws.
- Intern, U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), Office of Governmentwide Acquisition Policy (2013)
- Judicial Intern, The Honorable Eric T. Washington, District of Columbia Court of Appeals (2012)
- Intern, The District of Columbia Office of Contracting & Procurement, Procurement Leadership Program (2011)
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Accounting, Cost, and Pricing Committee
- Bid Protest Committee
News & Insights
- January 25, 2018 | AlertGSA Expands Schedule Contractors’ Authority to Provide Off-Schedule Materials and Services Without Using “Open-Market” ProceduresKevin J. Maynard, Gary S. Ward
- January 17, 2018 | Alert
- November 7, 2017 | Press Release
- Spring 2017 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal
- March 28, 2017 | ArticleGovernment Contracting Law Report
- January 13, 2017 | AlertGary S. Ward, Colin J. Cloherty
- December 19, 2016 | Alert
- November 2016 | Article2016 Thomson ReutersGary S. Ward, Author
- November 7, 2016 | AlertScott A. Felder, Gary S. Ward
- October 12, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA Federal Contracts ReportPhilip J. Davis, Gary S. Ward
- October 3, 2016 | AlertTracye Winfrey Howard, Gary S. Ward
- Summer 2016 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4
- June 28, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts Report
- May 16, 2016 | Online Webinar | Speaking EngagementBasics of Government ContractingFederal Publications SeminarsEric W. Leonard, Gary S. Ward
- April 26, 2016 | ArticleBNA INSIGHTS: Protecting Government Contractors’ Proprietary Information in Response to FOIA RequestsBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts ReportGary S. Ward, Richard B. O'Keeffe, Jr.
- November 4, 2015 | Press Release
- Summer 2015 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 44, No. 4
- Winter 2014 | Newsletter
- Winter 2014 | ArticleInspection, Acceptance, and Warranty: Fundamental Government Contracting Principles Take on Heightened Importance in Wake of Federal Budget UncertaintyThe Procurement Lawyer, Vol. 49, No. 2Gary S. Ward
- November 20, 2013 | AlertNew DOD Final Rule Imposes Cyber-Reporting Obligations and Basic Safeguarding Protocols for “Unclassified Controlled Technical Information”
- Summer 2013 | ArticleBlanket Purchase Agreements and Adequacy of Best Value Determinations: The 2013 McKenna Long & Aldridge “Gilbert A. Cuneo” Government Contracts Moot Court CompetitionPublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 42, No. 4Gary S. Ward