J.D., with honors, The George Washington University Law School
B.A., Swarthmore College
Editor-in-Chief, Public Contract Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and Eastern District of Virginia
Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
George counsels and represents government contractors on a broad range of government contracting issues, including contract claims and disputes, bid protests, internal investigations, and cost allowability matters. A certified Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt, George uses the LLSI process and project management tools to continually improve the value proposition the firm delivers to its clients.
- Prosecutes and defends bid protests before the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), and before the Small Business Administration (SBA) Office of Hearings and Appeals.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with mandatory disclosure obligations, incurred cost submissions, and other government reporting requirements.
- Represents companies and individuals in connection with procurement fraud and other civil and criminal fraud allegations and issues, including conducting internal investigations and preparing Mandatory and Voluntary Disclosures.
- Counsels government contractors on compliance with federal and state False Claims Acts, conflict of interest rules, and other ethics requirements.
- Participates in merger and acquisition due diligence reviews, advising clients on government contracts issues and risks.
- Counsels government contractors regarding claims and disputes, including claims under the Contracts Disputes Act (CDA).
Represents government contractors in drafting and negotiating teaming and subcontracting agreements and prime-subcontractor disputes.
- Research Assistant, The George Washington University Law School, Associate Dean Daniel I. Gordon (2013)
- Legal Intern, U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Division of Enforcement (2012)
- Senior Accountant (2011), Staff Accountant (2009-2011), Fannie Mae
- Internal Auditor (2009), Staff Accountant (2005-2009), Charming Shoppes, Inc
- American Bar Association (ABA), Section of Public Contract Law
- Vice-Chair of the PCLS Young Lawyers Committee
News & Insights
- April 18, 2018 | McLean, VA | Speaking EngagementGovernment Contractors Forum: Lobbying Do’s and Don’t’s for Government Contractors: Our Unique Regulatory EnvironmentAssociation of Corporate Counsel National Capital RegionCaleb P. Burns, Presenter, George E. Petel, Presenter
- March 27, 2018 | ArticleToday's General Counsel
- February 2018 | ArticleWiley Rein's Government Contracts SBIR SeriesGeorge E. Petel, John R. Prairie
- February 7, 2018 | AlertBrian Walsh, George E. Petel
- November 2017 | NewsletterFrustration with Delays in DCAA Assist Audits for Subcontractor Cost and Pricing Data Prompts Outside the Box Solutions
- October 24, 2017 | AlertLarge Grant Recipient Settles FCA Suit Arising from False Certifications and Representations under DHS Grant Program
- August 16, 2017 | San Diego, CA | Speaking EngagementFederal Grants: Navigating Compliance and Regulatory Requirements as well as Cost Allowability ConsiderationsFederal Publications SeminarsGeorge E. Petel, Speaker
- April 27, 2017 | Alert
- February 2017 | Newsletter
- February 9, 2017 | Speaking EngagementSBA Expands Mentor-Protégé Program to All Small BusinessesABA Section of Public Contract Law WebinarGeorge E. Petel, Moderator, John R. Prairie, Panelist
- January 31, 2017 | Alert
- January 30, 2017 | Alert
- December 8, 2016 | Alert
- November 2016 | NewsletterThreat of False Claims Act Suits Undermines Attempts to Focus Universities on Mission Rather than Administrative Compliance
- October 10, 2016 | Alert
- September 2016 | ArticlePratt’s Government Contracting Law Report
- Summer 2016 | ArticlePublic Contract Law Journal, Vol. 45, No. 4
- September 7, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementSBA Mentor Protégé Programs Final RuleABA Section of Public Contract Law, Subcontracting, Teaming and Strategic Alliances Committee MeetingGeorge E. Petel, Speaker
- August 17, 2016 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- August 12, 2016 | AlertKevin B. Muhlendorf, George E. Petel
- July 26, 2016 | Alert
- July 24-27, 2016 | Orlando, FL | Speaking EngagementNational Contract Management Association, World Congress 2016George E. Petel, Speaker, John R. Prairie, Speaker
- July 15, 2016 | Alert
- July 13, 2016 | Alert
- June 23, 2016 | AlertNews Flash: GSA Issues Final Version of Transactional Data Reporting Rule, Calling for Phased Elimination of Both PRC and CSP
- June 17, 2016 | Alert
- June 2, 2016 | Alert
- December 2015 | Newsletter
- November 12-14, 2015 | Charleston, South Carolina | Speaking EngagementIndividual Accountability for Corporate Wrongdoing: New Policy Memo from Deputy Attorney General Sally YatesABA Section of Public Contract Law Council MeetingGeorge E. Petel
- October 6, 2015 | ArticleView From Wiley Rein: SBA Opens Its Arms to More Large Businesses to Help Foster Its Small Business MissionBloomberg BNA's Federal Contracts Report
- May 20, 2015 | Rockville, MD | Speaking EngagementRecent Developments in Small Business ContractingNCMA Bethesda/Medical ChapterGeorge E. Petel, Speaker, John R. Prairie, Speaker
- April 24, 2015 | Alert
- April 10, 2015 | AlertThe Sixth Circuit Deals a $657 Million Reminder That the Government Bears the Burden of Proving DamagesRoderick L. Thomas, George E. Petel
- December 16, 2014 | Alert
- 2014 | ArticleYet Another Task for the U.S. Procurement System: Protecting Foreign Affairs Public ValuesJournal of Contract Management, Vol. 12, 127George E. Petel
- 2014 | ArticleLitigating Counterfeit Parts Risk: What EPA’s Buy American Checklist Can Teach DOD43 PUB. CONTR. L.J. 507George E. Petel
- August 1, 2013 | San Francisco, CA | Speaking EngagementUpdating the Model Procurement Rules: State and Local Cost Reimbursement ContractingABA Section of Public Contract Law Council MeetingGeorge E. Petel