J.D., University of Virginia School of Law
M.A., with distinction, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies
B.A., with honors, Austin College
Editor, Virginia Law Review
Law Clerk for the Honorable Jacques L. Wiener, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1998-1999)
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Greg's practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and arbitration and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). His diverse experience includes significant commercial litigation involving contractual, business tort, and product liability claims; False Claims Act (FCA) matters; Administrative Procedure Act (APA) issues; intellectual property disputes; international arbitrations; and anti-corruption matters.
Among other high-profile matters, Greg represents a defense contractor in an international dispute with the Republic of Korea stemming from a terminated Foreign Military Sales transaction, in which he obtained a declaration, affirmed by the Fourth Circuit, that Korea’s claims against the contractor were improper under federal common law; represents the same contractor in a multi-million-dollar breach of contract, indemnity, and business tort dispute with its subcontractor, in which the court dismissed all but two of the subcontractor’s multiple claims; represents FastShip, the inventor of a revolutionary hull design, in a misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of contract case against Lockheed Martin Corporation; represented a patent holder in a successfully settled, multi-party infringement litigation concerning wireless e-mail products and systems; represented a New York Stock Exchange (NYSE)-listed French multinational in a $4 billion securities class action suit (settled for less than $7 million, or less than 1 percent of the original claims); represented several oil companies in a breach of contract claim against the United States resulting in a $1.8 billion award; represented a South American pharmaceutical company in an International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) arbitration involving contractual and patent claims, successfully negating a non-compete provision in an agreement concluded by two sophisticated companies; and represented a European satellite operating company in an ICC arbitration involving multiple contractual and business tort claims and counterclaims, resulting in a large, favorable award for his client.
Greg's FCPA experience runs the gamut, including managing world-wide internal investigations; conducting due diligence on international agents, joint venture partners, and other third parties; and designing corporate anti-corruption compliance and training programs.
- Represents defense contractor in multi-million-dollar contractual dispute with the Republic of Korea.
- Represents government contractor in multi-million-dollar dispute with its subcontractor.
- Represents FastShip in multi-million-dollar misappropriation of trade secrets case against government contractor.
- Represented NTP, Inc., in patent infringement suits regarding wireless email products and systems.
- Represented Alstom SA in a worldwide securities class action.
- Represented a South American pharmaceutical company as respondent in an ICC arbitration involving a dispute under a supply agreement and related patent issues.
- Represented a European satellite operating company as claimant against a major European aerospace company in an ICC arbitration involving claims and counterclaims exceeding $150 million.
- Represented a NYSE-traded company in connection with an internal investigation relating to business in Nigeria and other parts of West Africa and related U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) inquiries.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in connection with FCPA advice, due diligence, and investigations regarding business throughout the Middle East – including Iraq, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kuwait, and Qatar – and China, Central Asia, and Nigeria, among other regions.
- Represented a leading international logistics company and government contractor on a wide range of anti-corruption matters spanning the globe, including conducting multiple internal investigations and due diligence in connection with mergers & acquisitions and third parties.
- Advised a private equity company with respect to investments in portfolio companies in countries across Africa and Asia.
- Advised a leading franchisor with respect to FCPA matters in the UAE, Russia, and China.
- Board Member, Osgood Center for International Studies
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce, International Policy Committee
- Member, Steering Group, International Litigation Committee, ABA Section of International Law (2016)
- Member, International Bribery and Corruption Task Force, United States Council for International Business (2016)
- Recognized as one of the nation’s top “Litigation Trailblazers” by The National Law Journal (2019)
- Named an “Acritas Star Lawyer” (2018)
- Received 2015 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
News & Insights
- September 4, 2019 | PRESS RELEASE
- May 17, 2019 | ALERTLaw360
- March 19, 2019 | ARTICLEINSIGHT: Cookie Coupons Rile DOJ Sensibilities, Indicating Possible Uptick in Class Action ObjectionsBloomberg Law
- February 21, 2019 | PRESS RELEASEWiley Rein Named Government Contracts ‘Practice Group of the Year’ by Law360 for Fifth Consecutive Year
- October 11, 2018 | ALERT
- June 21, 2018 | ALERTGregory M. Williams, Tatiana Sainati
- June 6, 2017 | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: 2017 Enforcement & Compliance PrioritiesWiley Rein Webinar
- February 23, 2017 | ARTICLEBusiness and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts, Fourth EditionThomson Reuters and American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- February 14, 2017 | ALERT
- December 2016 | ARTICLEInternational TradeABA Section of Litigation Business and Commercial Litigation in Federal Courts 4th Edition
- September 23, 2016 | PRESS RELEASE
- June 17, 2016 | MEDIA MENTIONRisk & Insurance
- June 9, 2016 | Online Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: 2016 Enforcement and Compliance PrioritiesWiley Rein
- May 2, 2016 | ALERTDOJ Compliance Counsel, VimpelCom Resolution, and FCPA Pilot Program Highlight Opportunities Presented for Telecom Industry by Robust Compliance, Self-disclosure, and Cooperation in Foreign Bribery Cases
- April 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- March 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- March 10, 2016 | ARTICLE
- February 29, 2016 | ARTICLE
- February 2016 | ARTICLEFranchising WorldGregory M. Williams
- January 20, 2016 | NEWSLETTER
- June 11, 2015 at Noon - 1 pm | Wiley Rein Webinar | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENT
- March 18, 2015 | ARTICLELaw360Gregory M. Williams
- January 27, 2015 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA’s Federal Contracts ReportGregory M. Williams, Ralph J. Caccia
- January 22, 2015 | ARTICLE
- November 2014 | ARTICLEBriefing PapersGregory M. Williams, Ralph J. Caccia
- May 2014 | ARTICLEThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 22, No. 5Richard W. Smith, Gregory M. Williams
- April 2014 | ARTICLEABA's Corporate Counsel Committee eNewsletterGregory M. Williams, Richard W. Smith
- April 10, 2014 | Los Angeles, CA | SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTThe Ethics of Anti-Corruption Internal Investigations for Corporate CounselABA Business Law Section 2014 Spring MeetingGregory M. Williams, Panelist
- April 4, 2014 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA's White Collar Crime Report
- Winter 2014 | NEWSLETTER
- February 18, 2014 | PRESS RELEASE
- February 14, 2014 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA's International Trade Daily Bulletin; Bloomberg BNA's International Trade Reporter
- February 7, 2014 | MEDIA MENTIONHarvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance
- February 5, 2014 | ARTICLEThe Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation
- January 8, 2014 | ARTICLEBloomberg BNA's Telecommunications Law Resource Center
- November 7, 2013 | ARTICLELaw360Gregory M. Williams
- October 9, 2013 | NEWSLETTER
- April 2013 | ARTICLEThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 21, No. 4Gregory M. Williams, Richard W. Smith
- March 4, 2013 | PRESS RELEASE
- August 7, 2012 | ARTICLERecovering Money Damages Against the United States: A New Landscape That Is More Favorable to PlaintiffsBNA's Corporate Counsel Weekly, Vol. 17, No. 31Gregory M. Williams