B.S., cum laude, University of South Carolina
Hap provides strategic advice on legislative, public policy, and legal issues for the firm’s clients in the communications and technology sectors. During more than a decade of service as a professional staff member and policy advisor to members of the United States Senate, Hap gained valuable experience in public policy and the legislative process. He regularly advised members of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation on media, wireline, wireless, internet, technology, privacy, and data security policy.
- Led efforts to draft and negotiate multiple pieces of legislation, including bills related to STELA reauthorization, broadband deployment (Mobile Now Act), Federal Communications Commission (FCC) reauthorization, retransmission consent reform, net neutrality, and data security and breach notification.
- Developed and managed non-legislative actions related to FCC proposals and orders, including broadcast exclusivity, pay-TV set-top boxes, broadband privacy, and universal service programs.
- Prepared statements and questions for more than a dozen hearings on issues including FCC oversight, broadband privacy regulation, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the universal service Connect America Fund, wireless broadband development, net neutrality, and video market competition.
- Advised on legislative efforts related to Communications Act reforms, the 2008 economic crisis, and the 2009 Stimulus.
- Professional Staff Member, U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation (2011-2017)
- Legislative Assistant, Office of Senator Jim DeMint (2005-2010)
- Director of Correspondence and Policy Assistant, Office of Governor Haley Barbour (2003-2004)
News & Insights
- March 23, 2018 | AlertCongress Passes the RAY BAUM’S Act of 2018, and Other Telecom Provisions as Part of Omnibus Spending Bill
- March 7, 2018 | Alert
- June 2017 | Newsletter
- June 19, 2017 | ArticleBloomberg BNA’s Privacy and Security Law ReportShawn H. Chang, Hap Rigby
- April 24, 2017 | Las Vegas, NV | Speaking EngagementNAB Show 2017Hap Rigby, Moderator
- March 31, 2017 | Media MentionThe Hollywood Reporter
- March 28, 2017 | Media MentionUSA Today
- March 23, 2017 | Article
- February 22, 2017 | Press Release