J.D., University of New Mexico School of Law
B.S.B.A., University of Albuquerque
B.A., University of New Mexico
Editor, Natural Resources Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New Mexico Bar
Henry is an internationally recognized communications expert, author, speaker, and conference leader. A former Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Commissioner, this highly experienced practitioner has been named one of the District of Columbia’s “Super Lawyers,” among The Best Lawyers in America in Communications Law and named by Lawdragon as one of “500 Leading Lawyers in America.” He has also been singled out as a “Leading Lawyer” by Chambers USA and named among the top 12 Telecom experts in the U.S. by Legal Media Group’s Best of the Best.
- More than 42 years of experience representing clients in all types of business transactions, including telecommunications transactions and telecommunications-related bankruptcies.
- Significant experience with all Washington advocacy venues of significance to communications policy-making.
- Experienced in all types of FCC rulemaking proceedings.
- Counseled clients on routine observance of FCC rules, including development of strategic plans and advice on implications for their businesses of pending federal communications-related legislation and FCC regulations.
- Advised international clients on regulatory and political issues regarding regulation and privatization, including counseling foreign postal, telegraph, and telephone services (PTTs) on the organization and operation of regulatory agencies necessitated by privatization of their telecommunications providers.
- Served as an expert witness in communications law-related cases in federal and state courts, and in state administrative proceedings, and in an arbitration.
- Served as a senior advisor to several U.S. international telecommunications delegations and to the U.S. Department of State.
- Served as a member of the INTELSAT Panel of Legal Experts.
- Represented and counseled a major local exchange carrier in connection with obtaining a local cable television franchise and in drafting a franchise agreement for an internet protocol television (IPTV) system.
- Represented and counseled a major local exchange carrier and its affiliated cable television companies and wireless carrier in all federal and state regulatory matters.
- Represented a major airline in an FCC proceeding involving Over-the-Air-Reception-Devices.
- Represented major wireless companies in spectrum lease and license transfer transactions.
- Served as trustee of several trusts created to facilitate mergers and acquisitions of broadcast properties.
- Significant experience representing telecommunications service providers and their customers in all aspects of the E-Rate program, particularly appeals from adverse Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) decisions.
- Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission (1981-1985)
- Co-Head, Agency Review Team, Obama-Biden Presidential Transition Team (2008)
- Member, Federal Advisory Committee on International Communications and Information Policy, U.S. Department of State (2004-2015)
- Chair and Member, Federal Advisory Committee on Diversity in the Digital Age, Federal Communications Commission (2003-2015)
- Member, Advanced Television Field Test Technical Oversight Committee, Federal Communications Commission (1992)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Service, Federal Communications Commission (1988)
- Member, Federal-State Joint Board on Separations, Federal Communications Commission (1983-1985)
- Supervisory Commissioner, Telecommunications Industry Advisory Group to Revise Uniform System of Accounts, Federal Communications Commission (1982)
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on Alternative Financing for Minority Opportunities in Telecommunications, Federal Communications Commission (1982)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Delegate, American Bar Association House of Delegates from the Federal Communications Bar Association (1999-2001)
- Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation (ABF)
- Chair, Advisory Council, Archdiocesan Legal Network (2004-2006)
- General Counsel, Benton Foundation (2003-2012)
- Chair and Board Member, Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington, Inc. (2004-2011)
- Board Member, Emma Bowen Foundation for Minority Interests in Media (1987-Present)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Foundation Board of Trustees (2008-2012)
- President (1995-1996)
- Director, Foundation for the National Archives (2007-2011)
- Strategic Counsel, Internet Innovation Alliance (IIA) (2011)
- Board of Trustees, Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia (1995-2011)
- Chairman (1994-2011) and Chair Emeritus (2012-Present), Multicultural Media and Telecommunications Council (MMTC)
- Board Member, University of New Mexico Alumni Association (2012-2016)
- University of New Mexico Foundation (2003-2008)
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "500 Leading Lawyers in America" (2013-2014)
- Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by Lawyers World (2012)
- Recognized as a "Leading Lawyer" by InterContinental Finance Magazine (2012)
- Named a preeminent telecommunications practitioner (2008, 2010) and a preeminent figure in global telecom deals (2011) by Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Telecommunications Lawyers
- Recipient of the Federal Communications Bar Association's Distinguished Service Award (2007)
- Recipient of The Independent Spanish Broadcasters Association "Friend of Spanish Broadcasting" award (2007)
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2018, Corporate Counsel Edition, August 2008)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Communications Law (2007-2015)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Telecom, Broadcast & Satellite: Regulatory (2006-2011)
- Named among the top 12 Telecom experts in the U.S. by Legal Media Group's Best of the Best (2006)
- Recognized by the Archdiocesan Legal Network and John Carroll Society for outstanding pro bono service
- Recognized as a "Leading Individual" in the field of Communications & IT law by the Practical Law Company's Which Lawyer? directory (2008-2009)
- Named as one of the "practice area's elite" in the International Who's Who of Regulatory Communications Lawyers (2007-2011)
- AV Peer Review Rating for 25 years, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
- University of New Mexico Alumni Association James F. Zimmerman Award Recipient (2016)
News & Insights
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- August 18, 2014 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Nine Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 22 Practice Areas in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers
- April 29, 2014 | Media MentionC-SPAN, Communications Daily
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- August 15, 2013 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Six Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- January 24, 2013 | Press Release
- August 22, 2012 | Press ReleaseTwenty-One Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers
- May 1, 2012 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementLatinos and the Internet: Jobs, Education, and Empowerment in a Digital EconomyHispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia ProgramHenry M. Rivera, Moderator
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- December 27, 2011 | Press Release
- November 17, 2011 | Fajardo, Puerto Rico | Speaking EngagementConnecting the Dots in the Digital Age: Policy, Social Capital and AdvocacyNational Hispanic Caucus of State Legislators Ninth National SummitHenry M. Rivera, Speaker
- November 3, 2011 | Speaking EngagementExpanding Internet Access: Broadband's Role in Creating Jobs and Closing the Digital DivideNALEO Webinar--The National Broadband Plan: Benefits and Challenges for Getting Us ConnectedHenry M. Rivera, Speaker
- September 9, 2011 | Speaking EngagementIIA Response to Presidential Address: The Technology Industry's Role in Achieving Our Nation's Economic GoalsInternet Innovation Alliance Press TeleconferenceHenry M. Rivera, Speaker
- August 31, 2011 | ArticleThe Denver PostHenry M. Rivera
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- August 25, 2011 | Media MentionWiley Rein's Henry Rivera Says Broadband Internet Access Critical for Finding Jobs, Obtaining Health CareCaribbean Business
- August 11, 2011 | Media MentionHenry Rivera Discusses the Digital Divide in Remarks to the Labor Council for Latin American AdvancementSpeedmatters.org
- August 5, 2011 | San Juan | Speaking EngagementExpanding Internet Access: Broadband's Role in Creating Jobs and Closing the Digital DivideLabor Council for Latin American Advancement (LCLAA) 2011 Educational ConferenceHenry M. Rivera, Speaker
- July 26, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementLatinos and the Internet: Jobs, Education and Empowerment in a Digital EconomyNCLR 2011 ConferenceHenry M. Rivera, Panelist
- July 13, 2011 | Press Release
- July 3, 2011 | ArticleMMTC Broadband and Social JusticeHenry M. Rivera
- Summer 2011 | ArticleLatino MagazineHenry M. Rivera
- June 10, 2011 | Press ReleaseThirty Wiley Rein Attorneys from More than a Dozen Practice Areas Included as Best in Class by Chambers USA
- June 10, 2011 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Telecom Practice and Richard E. Wiley Receive Top Honors From Chambers USA; Six Partners are "Leading Lawyers"
- May 26, 2011 | ArticlePoliticoHenry M. Rivera
- May 3, 2011 | Press Release
- January 31, 2011 | Media MentionCommunications Practice Partner Henry Rivera Discusses Minority Media Ownership on Comcast NewsmakersComcast Newsmakers
- January 21, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementA Conversation with Commissioners Michael Copps, Mignon L. Clyburn and Meredith Attwell BakerMinority Media & Telecommunications Council's Second Annual Broadband and Social Justice Policy SummitHenry M. Rivera, Moderator
- January 21, 2011 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementA Conversation with Commissioner Robert McDowellMinority Media & Telecommunications Council's Second Annual Broadband and Social Justice Policy SummitHenry M. Rivera, Moderator
- November 8, 2010 | Press Release
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- June 14, 2010 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Telecommunications Practice and Richard E. Wiley Receive Top Honors from Chambers USA; Five Partners Named "Leading Lawyers"
- June 11, 2010 | Press ReleaseMore Than Two Dozen Wiley Rein Attorneys in Nine Practice Areas Included in the 2010 Edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- April 30, 2010 | Press Release
- November 18, 2009 | Press Release
- July 30, 2009 | Press Release
- June 13, 2009 | Press Release25 Wiley Rein Attorneys in 10 Practice Areas Included in the 2009 Edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- June 12, 2009 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein's Telecommunications Practice and Richard Wiley Receive Top Honors from Chambers USA; Six Partners Named Leading Lawyers
- March 23, 2009 | Press Release
- March 10, 2009 | Press Release
- June 26, 2008 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein’s Telecommunications Practice and Richard Wiley Receive Top Honors from Chambers USA; Five Partners Named Leading Lawyers
- February 29, 2008 | Press Release
- April 20, 2007 | Press Release
- March 26, 2007 | Press Release