J.D., cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center
B.S., The George Washington University
Executive Editor, Georgetown Environmental Law Review
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Legal Lean Sigma Institute (LLSI) White Belt
Hume’s practice includes a broad range of litigation and counseling matters. He represents clients in insurance coverage litigation, with a focus on professional liability, cyber, and financial services. Hume also leverages his training and experience as a Civil Engineer to represent clients in patent litigation as well as environmental litigation and regulatory compliance.
- Serves as coverage counsel for insurers in a variety of professional liability matters, including in emerging risk categories such as cyber extortion and related privacy exposures.
- Assists insurers with monitoring of underlying defense counsel and exposure analysis in complex financial services cases, including ERISA and financial derivative class action suits.
- Litigates patent infringement actions.
- Provides advice and counseling to clients regarding the relative strength of their IP portfolios and susceptibility to infringement claims.
- Advises manufacturers and trade associations regarding compliance with environmental laws and regulations, including The Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), and the Endangered Species Act (ESA).
- Law Clerk, U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), Office of Unfair Import Investigations (2015)
- Professional Engineer (Civil) & Project Manager, VStructural, LLC (VSL) (2006-2014)
News & Insights
- October 3, 2019 | ALERT
- October 1, 2019 | NEWSLETTERDeclaratory Judgment Pleading and Allocation: Don’t Demand “All or Nothing” Unless You Really Mean It
- August 1, 2019 | NEWSLETTERCourt Lets Insured’s Third-Party Beneficiary Claim Proceed Against Adjuster With Which It Had No Contract
- July 22, 2019 | ALERT
- July 1, 2019 | NEWSLETTERSEC Investigation Constitutes One Claim; Component Subpoenas Are Not Written Demands for Non-Monetary Relief
- July 1, 2019 | NEWSLETTER
- April 1, 2019 | NEWSLETTERInsured’s Subjective Belief Regarding Likelihood of Being Sued Irrelevant to Prior Knowledge Analysis Under Pennsylvania Law
- November 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- August 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- July 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- July 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTERFaulty Workmanship Exclusion in Professional Liability Policy Bars Coverage for Faulty Design and Construction
- June 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- May 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- April 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTER
- April 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTERPleading in Suit Between Medical Practice Partners Fails to Trigger Duty to Defend Under Employment Practices Liability Policy
- January 1, 2018 | NEWSLETTERBreach of Fiduciary Duty Claim Against Lawyer Acting as Both Escrow Agent and Attorney for Counterparty Triggers Duty to Defend Notwithstanding Business Enterprise Exclusion