J.D., cum laude, New York University School of Law
B.S.F.S., Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
New York Bar
Jen is a partner in Wiley Rein’s Telecom, Media & Technology Practice and chair of our Space and Satellite Group. She advises communications and technology companies on domestic and international regulatory, policy, and transactional matters. She focuses on the licensing and operation of space stations, earth stations, undersea cables, and international telecommunications providers. Her representation includes some of the largest and most successful satellite operators, telecommunications providers, and network operators. She helps clients navigate a highly complex, cross-jurisdictional regulatory environment on issues such as spectrum sharing, space safety, national security, and foreign investment.
She is a contributing author and an industry source in several publications, including SatelliteFinance and the USA Chapter in the International Comparative Legal Guide to Telecoms, Media & Internet Laws & Regulations 2017.
- Advises on domestic and international telecommunications matters pending before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), U.S. Congress, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
- Develops strategy on a wide range of communications issues including licensing, foreign ownership, national security, and access to spectrum.
- Understands orbital slot, frequency use, satellite network coordination, and operational aspects of the satellite services industry.
- Secures FCC approval for mergers and public and private equity transactions involving regulated communications companies.
- Reviews commercial documents to ensure client interests are fully protected and counsels clients on structuring, financing, and other transactions.
- Assists satellite clients with orbital debris mitigation; first-come, first-served processing of satellite applications; milestone compliance; replacement expectancies; ancillary terrestrial rights; network outage; and required regulatory reports.
- Obtains cable landing licenses and advises on commercial agreements related to the construction and operation of undersea cables.
- Obtains licenses from NOAA for Earth imaging satellites and other land remote-sensing space systems, and counsels clients on compliance with administrative and operational control requirements and privacy restrictions on access to data.
- Navigates national security issues arising from NOAA licensees entering into foreign agreements and the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) and Team Telecom review of foreign investments in U.S. communications companies.
- Serves as a consultant to governments and non-U.S. communications regulatory agencies on privatization, liberalization, and effective regulation of global telecommunications markets.
- Advises regulated communications companies on the applicability of and compliance with FCC rules and, when necessary, ensures satisfactory resolution of FCC enforcement proceedings.
- Represents established and emerging operators of global fixed satellite service (FSS), mobile satellite service (MSS), satellite radio service, direct broadcast satellite service (DBS), broadband Internet access, and Earth imaging satellite service.
- Junior Fellow, New York University, Center for International Studies (1995-1996)
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- Co-Chair, International Telecommunications Committee (2002-2005, 2009-2012)
- Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (WBA)
- Co-Chair, Communications Practice Group (2001-2002)
- Named by Law360 as a Telecommunications MVP (2017)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Communications Law (2015-2018)
- Named one of DC’s “Super Lawyers” for Communications by Super Lawyers magazine (2012-2017)
- Named by The Legal 500 US a “recommended lawyer” in Telecom and Broadcast Transactional (2013, 2016-2017) and Regulatory (2014, 2016-2017) Law
News & Insights
- December 22, 2017 | Press Release
- December 11, 2017 | Press Release
- 2017 | ArticleThe International Comparative Legal Guide to Telecoms, Media & Internet Laws & Regulations 2017Jennifer D. Hindin, Madeleine M. Lottenbach
- May 31, 2017 | Press Release
- September 7, 2016 | ArticleChanges to the FCC’s Bond Requirements Ease Burdens on Satellite LicenseesSatelliteFinanceJennifer D. Hindin, Katy M. Ross
- August 16, 2016 | San Francisco, CA | Speaking EngagementSpace Technology & Investment ForumJennifer D. Hindin, Moderator
- June 15, 2016 | Press Release
- May 23, 2016 | Press Release
- March 9, 2016 | National Harbor, MD | Speaking EngagementSATELLITE 2016Jennifer D. Hindin, Speaker
- March 1, 2016 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementFCBA CLE Program: The Changing Landscape of Satellite RegulationJennifer D. Hindin, Speaker
- August 17, 2015 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers
- July 13, 2015 | Alert
- June 19, 2015 | Alert
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- March 16, 2015 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementMeet the New 'Stratellites': Drones, High-Altitude Platforms, Cubesats and MoreSATELLITE 2015Jennifer D. Hindin, Speaker
- February 24, 2015 | AlertFCC's Updated International Reporting Requirements in Effect for 2015 Reports - Changes Require Reporting by New EntitiesJennifer D. Hindin, Anna M. Gomez
- August 18, 2014 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Nine Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 22 Practice Areas in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 26, 2014 | Press Release
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- June 7, 2013 | Press ReleaseThe Legal 500 US Ranks Wiley Rein’s Telecommunications Group in the Top Tier for the Seventh Consecutive Year
- June 4, 2013 | Press ReleaseLegal 500 US Recognizes 25 Wiley Rein Lawyers Across Five Practices Nationally; Wiley and Senkowski Are "Leading Lawyers"
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- April 4, 2013 | ArticleU.S. Trade Representative Releases Section 1377 Annual Review of Telecommunications Trade Agreements – New Report Identifies Eight Types of Trade Restrictions Imposed by China, India and Other Countries
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- December 9, 2011 | AlertJennifer D. Hindin
- April 7, 2011 | AlertPeter D. Shields, Jennifer D. Hindin
- August 15, 2008 | Press Release
- December 29, 2003 | Press Release