J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
B.S.E.E., University of South Carolina; Tau Beta Pi; Eta Kappa Nu; Pi Mu Epsilon
Associate Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of the United States
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Eighth, Ninth, Eleventh, Federal, and District of Columbia Circuits
U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, Eastern District of Arkansas, Eastern District of Texas, Eastern District of Wisconsin, Northern District of California, Western District of Arkansas, and Western District of Michigan
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
U.S. Court of International Trade
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Jim is chair emeritus of the Wiley Rein Intellectual Property Group, previously he served as chair for many years. Jim has more than 30 years of experience litigating patents in the fields of communications satellites, data transmission, network interface devices, Internet business methods, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and semiconductors. A founding partner of the firm, he was named by Legal Times as a “Leading Intellectual Property Attorney” and recognized as one of the “Best Lawyers in America” in intellectual property law. He also is rated by Chambers USA as one of Washington, DC’s “Leading Lawyers” in his field which notes him as having “significant experience in litigating and trying patent cases, particularly matters concerning technology, communications, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals” (2014) and as being “very professional, very well organized, and on top of everything" (2013).
- Secured, on behalf of client NTP Inc., a $612.5 million patent infringement settlement with Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM), the maker of BlackBerry wireless email devices. The settlement, one of the largest ever of its kind, resolved a fiercely contested, high-profile patent case stemming from a 2002 jury trial in which the firm successfully argued that RIM's core BlackBerry line of wireless email products, software and services willfully infringed NTP patents.
- Litigated numerous pharmaceutical patent cases, including aripiprazole (Abilify®), cetuximab (Erbitux®), loratadine (Claritin®), oxybutynin chloride (Ditropan XL®), carbidopa/levodopa (Sinemet® CR), tamoxifen citrate (Nolvadex®), allopurinol (Zyloprim®), tPA (Activase®), omeprazole (Prilosec®), cyclobenzaprine HCl (Amrix®), erlotinib (Tarceva®), interferon (Roferon®-A), levofloxacin (Levaquin®), dutasteride (Avodart®), fenofibrate (Antara®), and tolterodine tartrate (Detrol® LA).
- Represented a developer of electronic imaging systems in a patent infringement action against 17 Japanese and Korean manufacturers involving the seeing-eye elements of camcorders and fax machines that convert light into electrons, known as charge coupled device (CCD) technology.
- Successfully represented clients in 337 patent infringement actions before the U.S. International Trade Commission (USITC), including a case involving novel microwave filters on satellites that, based upon their light weight, enabled increased satellite life.
- Secured a significant victory for clients Mylan Inc. (formerly Mylan Laboratories Inc.), Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc., Laboratorios Dr. Esteve, S.A., and Esteve Quimica, S.A. in their defense of a protracted patent infringement litigation brought by AstraZeneca.
- Successfully defended Royal Crown Cola in major antitrust challenge to exclusive geographic franchise agreements.
- On behalf of Royal Crown Cola successfully challenged, under the antitrust law, the proposed Pepsi/Seven Up and Coke/Dr. Pepper mergers.
- Secured a victory for client ARM Ltd. in defense of claims of patent infringement pertaining to the design of microprocessors.
- Filed an amicus brief, on behalf of Nobel Prize winner James D. Watson, in the landmark Myriad Genetics Inc. human gene patent case before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division (1967-1970)
- Patent Examiner, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (1966-1967)
- Advisory Board, Bloomberg BNA's Patent, Trademark and Copyright Journal
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Listed by Chambers USA as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Intellectual Property: Litigation (2010-2017)
- Named the Washington, DC Intellectual Property Litigation "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America directory (2015)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America directory for Intellectual Property Litigation (2006-2019) and Patent Litigation (2013-2019)
- Named a "Life Sciences Star" for outstanding Intellectual Property work in Euromoney's LMG Life Sciences (2012-2015)
- Named by Lawdragon as one of "500 Leading Lawyers in America" (2008, 2010-2011)
- Named one of "Washington's Best Lawyers" (2011, 2013), one of "DC's Top 30 Lawyers" (2007), among the city's best IP attorneys (2004, 2007), and one of "Washington's Top Lawyers" (2009) by Washingtonian magazine
- Named one of DC's "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers magazine (2007-2018, Corporate Counsel Edition, August 2008)
- Included in the Legal Media Group's Expert Guides: Guide to the World's Leading Patent Law Practitioners (2007, 2009)
- Named one of 15 leading IP attorneys by Legal Times (2003)
- AV Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell's highest ranking by peers for general ethical standards and legal ability
News & Insights
- May 26, 2017 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 27 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 11 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- February 8, 2017 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Supreme Court Amicus Brief, Filed on Behalf of GPhA, Challenges Unrestricted Venue Choice for Drug Patent Holders
- July 26, 2016 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal
- July 22, 2016 | Media MentionFortune.com
- May 27, 2016 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- May 5, 2016 | AlertJames H. Wallace, Jr., Wesley E. Weeks
- May 5, 2016 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of GPhA in Critical Hatch-Waxman Act Litigation Before the Federal Circuit
- January 14, 2016 | San Francisco, CA | Speaking EngagementLegal Hurdles and Developments from Supreme Court/CAFCPatent Litigation in the New ERAJames H. Wallace, Jr., Moderator
- December 16, 2015 | Press ReleaseBloomberg BNA Hosts Patent Litigation Conference On January 14 In San Francisco With Focus On Patent Reform
- December 2, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Recognized in LMG Life Sciences 2015 Guide as a Leader in FDA Law for Pharmaceutical Work
- November 12, 2015 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementLegal Hurdles and Developments from Supreme Court/CAFCPatent Litigation in the New EraJames H. Wallace, Jr., Moderator
- October 29, 2015 | Press Release
- August 17, 2015 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 17 Practice Areas in the 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers
- May 27, 2015 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Files Amicus Brief on Behalf of Generic Pharmaceutical Association in AstraZeneca AB v. Mylan Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- May 19, 2015 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 13 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 23, 2015 | Press Release
- March 16, 2015 | Media MentionJames Wallace and Brian Pandya Moderate Panels at Patent Enforcement Conference Sponsored by Wiley Rein and Bloomberg BNABNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal
- March 12, 2015 | San Francisco, CA | Speaking EngagementImpact of the Supreme Court on Patent EnforcementJames H. Wallace, Jr., Moderator
- February 5, 2015 | Press Release
- January 7, 2015 | Press Release
- December 5, 2014 | ArticleBloomberg BNA's Patent, Trademark & Copyright JournalJames H. Wallace, Jr.
- November 13, 2014 | Washington, DC | Speaking EngagementIneligibility of Abstract Ideas, Business Methods, and Naturally-Occurring SubstancesImpact of the Supreme Court on Patent EnforcementJames H. Wallace, Jr., Moderator
- October 28, 2014 | Press Release
- October 9, 2014 | Press ReleaseImpact of Recent U.S. Supreme Court Decisions on Patent Enforcement Explored in One-Day Conference at Wiley Rein
- August 18, 2014 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Nine Wiley Rein Attorneys Recognized Across 22 Practice Areas in the 2015 Edition of Best Lawyers
- July 8, 2014 | Speaking EngagementCurrent Issues in ANDA and Other Pharmaceutical Patent LitigationBloomberg BNA Webinar
- May 23, 2014 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 34 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 15 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 25, 2014 | Press Release“Super Lawyers” Recognizes 66 Wiley Rein Attorneys in Washington, DC Area Across 18 Areas of the Law
- January 24, 2014 | Media MentionBloomberg BNA
- December 11, 2013 | New York, NY | Speaking EngagementHandling Claims Occurring Along the Chain of Commerce: Extraterritoriality Issues in the Modern EconomyACI's Advanced Forum on Patent LitigationJames H. Wallace, Jr.
- November 21, 2013 | Press Release
- October 2, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Amicus Brief Helps Persuade U.S. Supreme Court to Review Federal Circuit Ruling on Patent Litigation Attorney Fees
- September 23, 2013 | New York, NY | Speaking EngagementComparing & Contrasting the Divergent Litigation Pathways of Small vs. Large Molecule Products: Examining the Impact of Differing Regulatory Schemes, Challenges Created Under the AIA & Lessons Learned from Recent Biosimilars Litigation in the US & AbroadThe International Congress on Paragraph IV LitigationJames H. Wallace, Jr.
- August 15, 2013 | Press ReleaseTwenty-Six Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2014 Edition of Best Lawyers
- August 12, 2013 | AlertJames H. Wallace, Jr.
- May 29, 2013 | Press Release
- May 24, 2013 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes 31 Wiley Rein Attorneys Across 14 Practice Areas as Among Best in the Country
- April 29, 2013 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Amicus Brief Urges Supreme Court Review of Federal Circuit Ruling on Patent Litigation Attorney Fees
- April 19, 2013 | Press Release
- November 20, 2012 | NewsletterThe Federal Circuit Rules That a Party Can Bring a Walker Process Antitrust Claim Even in the Absence of a Patent Dispute
- October 2, 2012 | Press Release
- August 22, 2012 | Press ReleaseTwenty-One Wiley Rein Partners Recognized Across 18 Practice Areas in the 2013 Edition of Best Lawyers
- June 11, 2012 | Press Release
- June 7, 2012 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Recognizes Thirty-Two Wiley Rein Attorneys Across Fifteen Practice Areas as Best in the Country
- April 27, 2012 | Press Release
- December 2011 | ArticleThe Metropolitan Corporate Counsel Vol. 19, No. 12James H. Wallace, Jr., Scott A. Felder
- November 23, 2011 | Press Release
- August 30, 2011 | Press Release
- June 13, 2011 | Press Release
- June 10, 2011 | Press ReleaseThirty Wiley Rein Attorneys from More than a Dozen Practice Areas Included as Best in Class by Chambers USA
- May 3, 2011 | Press Release
- March 2, 2011 | Press Release
- January 11, 2011 | Press Release
- August 4, 2010 | Press Release
- June 14, 2010 | Press ReleaseChambers USA Ranks Wiley Rein Intellectual Property Practice among Washington, DC's Best; Names James H. Wallace, Jr. and Bruce G. Joseph "Leading Lawyers"
- June 11, 2010 | Press ReleaseMore Than Two Dozen Wiley Rein Attorneys in Nine Practice Areas Included in the 2010 Edition of Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business
- May 13, 2010 | Press Release
- April 30, 2010 | Press Release
- November 24, 2009 | Press ReleaseWashingtonian Magazine Dubs Richard E. Wiley a "Star of the Bar;" Names a Dozen Attorneys to its List of DC's "Top Lawyers"
- July 30, 2009 | Press Release
- March 23, 2009 | Press Release
- July 10, 2008 | Press Release
- June 10, 2008 | Press Release
- May 12, 2008 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein Client ARM Wins Significant Patent Infringement Dispute As A Defendant In The Eastern District of Texas
- June 1, 2007 | Press Release
- March 26, 2007 | Press Release
- September 7, 2006 | Press ReleaseWiley Rein & Fielding Client Mylan Wins Significant Patent Dispute as Appeals Court Upholds Ruling on Oxybutynin
- March 3, 2006 | Press Release
- November 30, 2005 | Press ReleaseDistrict Court Denies Attempt to Stay Proceedings and Rejects a Purported Settlement in Blackberry Patent Dispute
- October 26, 2005 | Press ReleaseSupreme Court Denies RIM's Motion in NTP v. Research In Motion Patent Dispute
- September 28, 2005 | Press Release
- May 23, 2005 | Press Release
- March 16, 2005 | Press Release
- December 14, 2004 | Press ReleaseCourt of Appeals Unanimously Affirms BlackBerry Injunction and Final Judgment in NTP v. Research In Motion Patent Dispute
- December 1, 2004 | Press Release
- October 16, 2003 | Press Release
- May 30, 2003 | Press Release