J.D., American University Washington College of Law
B.A., George Mason University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
Supreme Court of Virginia
District of Columbia Court of Appeals
Joan represents and counsels clients on a variety of regulatory matters before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC). She works closely with clients to grow their business through acquisitions or downsize through strategic divestitures. Joan primarily works in the media space, counseling television, radio, and new media clients on regulatory compliance, advertising and promotional matters, and transactions. Joan has significant experience advising clients on compliance with the FCC’s rules and regulations governing day-to-day station operations, including political advertising, children’s programming, closed captioning and other accessibility rules, recruitment and hiring (EEO), facility modifications, and public file obligations. She provides guidance on state and federal law and children’s online privacy (COPPA) to help her clients navigate traditional and social media promotional campaigns. Joan also assists her clients in developing regulatory compliance programs. She is sought out for her common-sense regulatory training, which is thoughtfully crafted for each audience and situation.
- Represents television and radio broadcast clients before the FCC on a wide variety of regulatory matters including spectrum auctions, the post-auction repack process and related facility modifications, licensing, and rulemakings.
- Provides guidance to broadcast clients on compliance with FCC rules, including political advertising, quarterly reporting obligations, children's programming, recruitment and hiring, closed captioning, contests and promotions, and general compliance.
- Advises on compliance with accessibility rules including closed captioning, Electronic Newsroom Technique (ENT) captioning, Emergency Alert System, and video description rules.
- Counsels Class A and LPTV stations on compliance and facility modifications.
- Advises a variety of media and non-media based businesses on promotions and contests including sweepstakes, contests, text-to-win promotions, and promotions with user-generated content.
- Counsels clients on compliance with TCPA and data privacy issues in designing client outreach campaigns and promotions.
- Drafts rules for a variety of contests and promotions and advises on relevant state and federal law considerations, including how to comply with the requirements of various online social media platforms.
- Counsels operators of commercial websites and mobile app developers on COPPA compliance and assists clients in developing privacy policies.
- Negotiates agreements for complex broadcast transactions, including purchase and sale agreements, local marketing agreements, and option agreements.
- Counsels clients on contract interpretation issues.
- Assists school districts in navigating the E-rate application and funding process.
- Federal Communications Bar Association (FCBA)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
News & Insights
- January 18, 2018 | AlertOnline Public File Reminder: March 1, 2018 Deadline for All Radio Stations That Have Not Yet Transitioned
- December 19, 2017 | AlertStations Changing Channels During Post-Incentive Auction Transition Must File a Transition Progress Report (Schedule 387) by January 10, 2018
- December 6, 2017 | Alert
- November 20, 2017 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2017Joan Stewart, John M. Burgett
- October 27, 2017 | Alert
- October 19, 2017 | Alert
- October 17, 2017 | Alert
- September 26, 2017 | Alert
- September 21, 2017 | Alert
- September 20, 2017 | Alert
- September 7, 2017 | Alert
- September 6, 2017 | Alert
- September 6, 2017 | Alert
- August 15, 2017 | Alert
- August 7, 2017 | Alert
- June 29, 2017 | Alert
- June 26, 2017 | ArticleWileyConnect
- June 26, 2017 | ArticleWileyonMedia
- June 9, 2017 | Alert
- May 17, 2017 | Alert
- May 4, 2017 | Alert
- April 6, 2017 | Alert
- April 6, 2017 | Alert
- February 23, 2017 | Alert
- February 6, 2017 | AlertFCC to Initiate Repack With Confidential Letters to Broadcasters; Waives Reverse Auction Anti-Collusion Rules
- February 1, 2017 | Alert
- January 30, 2017 | Alert
- January 10, 2017 | AlertFCC Clarifies Political File Rules; Admonishes 10 Stations and Warns All Licensees of Potential Enforcement Actions
- December 9, 2016 | AlertReminder: By December 24, The Online Public File Must Be Complete for Commercial Stations in Top 50 Markets
- November 16, 2016 | AlertFCC Grants an Additional 18-Month Extension of Time for Broadcasters to Provide Aural Description of Non-Text Emergency Information
- November 7, 2016 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2016
- October 5, 2016 | Alert
- September 28, 2016 | Alert
- September 21, 2016 | Alert
- May 12, 2016 | Alert
- April 26, 2016 | AlertJoan Stewart
- February 12, 2016 | Alert
- January 14, 2016 | AlertWith the “Big Game” Approaching, Stations Should Be Careful About Use of Trademarks in Their Broadcasts and Promotions
- November 20, 2015 | Alert
- November 9, 2015 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2015
- May 26, 2015 | Alert
- May 12, 2015 | Alert
- May 7, 2015 | AlertClosed Captioning Quality Control: FCC Establishes Procedures to Report Non-Certifying Video Programmers
- November 17, 2014 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 1, 2014
- October 24, 2014 | Alert
- July 24, 2014 | Alert
- March 31, 2014 | Alert
- February 25, 2014 | AlertFCC Updates and Clarifies Television Closed Captioning Rules, Seeks Comment on Extending Responsibility Beyond Broadcasters and MVPDs and Elimination of Certain Exemptions
- October 18, 2013 | AlertAnnual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 2, 2013
- September 27, 2013 | Alert
- April 5, 2013 | Alert
- November 20, 2012 | AlertUpdate: Annual DTV Ancillary/Supplementary Services Report for Commercial and Noncommercial Television Stations Due December 3, 2012
- July 19, 2011 | AlertFCC Releases Rules Governing Digital Transition of Low Power Television Stations; Sets September 1, 2015 Deadline
- May 31, 2011 | Alert
- March 3, 2011 | Alert
- January 31, 2011 | Alert