J.D., University of Baltimore School of Law
B.A., Rutgers University
Bar and Court Admissions
District of Columbia Bar
U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Certified arbitrator, AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS)
John has more than 20 years experience as a senior insurance industry executive, serving as both chief claims officer and general counsel. He specializes in claims and legal issue management, regulatory and compliance issues, complex insurance, and mass tort litigation and serves as a certified reinsurance arbitrator.
- Advises clients on complex litigation strategy and resolution, claims management best practices, and insurance/reinsurance issues.
- Provides expert consultation on claims practices and mass tort exposures, including bad faith and insurance coverage disputes.
- Provides strategic advice on litigation exposure and management, claim best practices, and regulatory compliance.
- Executive Vice President and Chief Claims Officer, Zurich North America and Corporate Director, Zurich American Insurance Company (2000-2002). Responsible for the direction of all North American claim operations for the third largest U.S. commercial insurer
- Executive Vice President Legal Services, Zurich American Insurance Group (1992-2000)
- Senior Vice President and Chief Claims Officer (1990-1992) and Senior Vice President and General Counsel (1986-1990), Maryland Casualty Company
- American Insurance Association (AIA)
- Alternate, Board of Governors (1986-1991)
- Claims Administration and Law & Regulation Committee (1987-2002)
- Founding Board Member, Asbestos Claim Managers Association (1981-1985)
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Vice President, Insurance and Board of Governors (1994-1996)
- Founding Chair, Insurance Environmental Litigation Association (1986-1988)
- Included in The International Who's Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers (2013-2016)
News & Insights
- April 7, 2017 | Chicago, IL | Speaking EngagementDRI's Insurance Coverage and Claims InstituteJohn D. Cole, Speaker
- December 27, 2005 | Press Release